Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech> Mandrel bender
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Mandrel bender Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-10-2005 01:11 PM
bullheimer not sure what a mandrel is, if it's balls it's balls. as far as i am concerned tho, a mandrel bend in round thru the whole length of the bend. i dont know what muffler shops use, but in the electrical trade, our pipe benders by code, have to leave the inside diameter the same as unbent pipe. my bender here in the shop is just par for the course, you can find them at Greenlee's tool site, whatever that is. you can try but it might not work. i also have a bender from G-B which is gardnerbender. i have the mini-egor hydraulic bender. go figure, ive never used it for car exhaust.

try this:
01-03-2005 12:26 PM Here is a video if an 'economy' (they conveniently leave off the price - when they say "call us for prices" that it marketingese for "Our widget is so stinking expensive we are ashamed to publish it!")mandrel bender. Note the long tool bed - this is to capture the mandrel inside the pipe that sits at the point of the bend thanks to the rod anchored at the far end of the bed. Ball is tool steel.
01-03-2005 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BillyShope
A mandrel bend can be made on most benders if you want to go to the trouble of attaching a ball to a rod which is inserted into one end of the tube.
What's the ball made of? And doesn't it get pinched in there pretty tight once you make the bend? How do you keep it from getting stuck in there for good? Is it something a novice would want to try while using a Harbor Freight or similar type pipe bender - which is the wrong size for bending tube?

01-03-2005 10:40 AM
Beenaway2long Billy-
I'm coming to Orlando in February. Any good Rodding museums around?

(Sorry about the thread rob- back to the mandrel bends)

01-02-2005 06:36 PM
BillyShope A mandrel bend can be made on most benders if you want to go to the trouble of attaching a ball to a rod which is inserted into one end of the tube. Remember, the tube is being bent at only one spot and that spot is usually a constant distance from one end of the tube. The ball isn't pulled through the tube to make the bend. It's merely sitting there, at the point where the tube is being bent, and preventing the tube from collapsing.
01-02-2005 10:11 AM
Definition: Mandrel Bender

Mandrel bending is when a set of balls, called a mandrel, is inserted into the pipe during bending. These balls are positioned and pulled through the pipe so that the bends are not deformed and maintain a close to perfect shape throughout the length of the bend. The pro’s are that the tube can be bent on a much tighter radius and still flow well due to the pipe being round and not collapsed. The machinery is expensive for a good quality CNC mandrel bender with the appropriate tooling.
09-15-2004 03:30 AM
Mikey_mike Thanx Vince,

What does the piece thats drawn through the tube looks like? I guess it depends on the bender? Someone said like a ball?
09-14-2004 07:04 PM
302 Z28 A mandrel is drawn through the inside of the pipe to form curves, this keeps the outer walls of the pipe from scrunching down in tight bends. The bend of choice when speaking of exhaust.

09-14-2004 06:03 PM
Mandrel bender

Hello all,

I would like to know if any of you have the proper definition for a mandrel bender? I have been looking for a while now and i thought i would ask.


Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.