Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> REFINISHING DINGED UP VALVE COVERS
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-19-2003 11:04 AM
collins motors co. All metal is a filler that has a high metal content it comes in qts and gallons its more expensive than bondo by has a liquid hardner similar to fiberglass resin hardner it spreads like bondo and sands decent. I use it on cars over welds. I used it on a indian motorcycle frame that was then powder coated with great results.
01-18-2003 02:30 PM
NAIRB What is usc all metal, you have my attention.
01-18-2003 01:56 PM
collins motors co. How about usc all metal i've used it on things that have been powder coated.
01-18-2003 12:37 PM
OddRodder Hey Willys! After following your posts lately, I don't feel nearly as embarased about shopping at Harbor Freight as I used to!!! hahaha!! Thanks a million! :p
01-18-2003 12:32 PM
Halloweenking Exacly what willys said times 2

01-18-2003 12:18 PM best way, and the one you will b emost happy with is to do body work with hammer and dolly, then lightly sand down the final imperfections with a 4 1/2" disk sander and 180 grit disks. Don't grind, just a light touch with the sander to find imperfections. Don't realy take off any metal. Go back and forth between the hammer and sander 'til the surface is perfect, prime and paint.

If you were having them chromed, the chrome shop would do all the dirty work for you.

Can get right angle sander for $14 and basic hammer and dollies for less than $20 from Harbor Freight.

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: ]</p>
01-18-2003 12:02 PM
OddRodder Hey Nairb! I sent you a P.M.
01-18-2003 11:55 AM
NAIRB I had thought about that, but I want to paint them race hemi orange, and highlight the firepower in silver.
01-18-2003 11:17 AM
OddRodder How about a little light hammer and dolly work to get them as near perfect as possible and then use a black crinkle paint to cover the flaws!
01-18-2003 11:05 AM

I have a couple of sets of old hemi valve covers I want to re-furbish. They have a few dings, and wanted to know if I can use anything other than bondo and primer to fill the imperfections with. Is there any filler material available that is a metallic material? What about lead? I've never worked with lead. Any ideas? I'll be painting them when finished.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.