Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend> transfer case help
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: transfer case help Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-19-2005 10:54 PM
packratwrecker In 80, it could be any of the above. That was a transition year. Seems like the 80 models are different for some reason, but I don't recall what.

If your shift pattern is low loc-low-n-hi-hi loc, its a NP203.

If it's all aluminum case, it's a NP208.

If it's an iron case, w/ 4 low-n-2-hi-4 hi, it's a NP205.

I can't say I've ever seen one of the other unnits in a 3/4 ton. Just my experience.

I'd say NP 205 is the best all around, except for weight. I never had any confidence in a chain drive t-case, like the 203, 208.

Be sure you get one for hte same trans that you have. The splines are different between manual/automatic/TH400
03-19-2005 05:51 PM
M&M CUSTOM If it's automatic, it's most likely got the 203, and I think the 81 and up got the 208.
If it's 4-speed it's most likely got the 205.

Look under the truck at the back of the transfer case, just under and to the right of the rear driveshaft yoke.
If it has a rounded cover that has three bolts holding it on, it's the NP-205.
If it has none but the case is made from cast iron, it is the NP-203.
If it has none and the case is made out of cast aluminum, it is the NP-208.

If it is none of those three, it "could" have the Dana 20, Rockwell, or Eaton transfer cases in it. All three of those were also available in GM's trucks, but mostly 1-ton and up for the Rockwell and Eaton units.

If you could post a picture fo the rear of the transfer case, there would be NO further question as to what you have.
03-19-2005 07:30 AM
tornado-tech It would be the NP205 and if remember, it would be the slip yoke model similiar to the 208.
03-19-2005 07:19 AM
Lonestar NP 205 if I remember correctly
03-18-2005 08:15 PM
transfer case help

what transfer case would be in a "1980 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 350? im going to a swap meet this weekend and need some help

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.