Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend> transmission identification--350
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: transmission identification--350 Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
11-01-2002 02:23 PM
jvenice I think it is just a regular production option (RPO) code. Is it a 350C (lockup)? They started making them in 1980. If you are trying to identify the transmission you should check the 1-2 accumulator cover. This would mean it is a Buick built 350 69-72. Codes on the governor cover mean it is a Buick built 350 or 375B 73-81. If it is a Chevy built 350 the code should be stamped directly beneath the oil pan flange on the oil pan for 69-72 and either on the governer cover or pan for 73 and later. The second digit should be a number corresponding to the last digit of the year (ie 5 = 75 or 85). 82 and later Buick built 350Cs the code is stamped on a riveted plate last 2 digits being year. The only problem for all of these codes is that they can be removed and replaced. If you find a code and placement. I can probably decipher it. Not a VIN code though which is stamped into the case. The only way to truly know is to know the car or take it apart and inspect the parts. Hope this confusing info helped.
11-01-2002 01:56 PM
bobthetran The r 4 is used to identify that particular case casting. if they found the r4 casting was defective the could trace it back to the particular casting core and repair or replace it.The core is the mold they made that particular casting from at the foundary.I hope that answers you're question. bob
10-30-2002 05:20 AM
dstygar Are you sure it's not a 200 with an 4R? Never saw R4 on TH350 tranny..
10-29-2002 05:47 PM
transmission identification--350

I HAVE A 350 CHEV TRANNY WITH R4 on the top of the housing. what does it stand for? --lew

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.