Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> What to use to tack the rivets?
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: What to use to tack the rivets? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
11-20-2005 08:09 PM
kenseth17 yeah, just weld the holes shut, no need for anything else for the small holes from emblems. If it were a decent size hole then you would need to plug weld it up starting on the edges and circle to the center. A small hole just spot shut with the welder without getting too hot that you warp the metal around it. Leave the metal cool before filling in another hole. I have seen cheap welders as low as 85 bucks at harbor frieght, but think a welder is one area you may want to bite the bullet and buy a good name brand like miller or lincoln. They are very nice to have. You don't need much of a welder for typical bodywork. I've had my small lincoln weldpak 100 for a long time, and its enough for most stuff I do. Unless you are planning on welding plate or something, a small 110 model will do for sheetmetal work.
11-20-2005 07:55 PM
lowROLLERchevy if i understand what your asking, you want to just fill the holes for good, right ?

best way to do it is just to tackweld the holes closed, no need for putting a rivit in first. just make sure the heat is high enough so that the tackweld protrudes slightly out the backside of the panel, ensuring that the weld penetrates the steel
11-19-2005 04:49 PM
What to use to tack the rivets?

Hi all,
I am removing some emblems from my car. I have read that rivets then tacking them with a welder works. Seems like a good way to me. My questions are what type of rivets and where to get them and what would be the cheapest welder I can get by with to do this? All I am welding are the small holes. The rest of my car is sound.
Thanks! Walt

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.