|03-09-2003 09:06 AM|
|billyjimbob||you could move the heater or box it in with 2 by 2 walls, insulation, vapor barrier. also vent it to fresh air. if you just turn it off be sure to check if it has a vent fan for the burnt gasses?|
|03-08-2003 08:47 PM|
[quote]Originally posted by Mav:
<strong>If i were in your position i would convert to an electric water heater ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Heater Elements Contactors in an electric heater will spark when the contacts pull it. Of course, then you could just throw the breaker when painting.
|03-08-2003 05:05 PM|
|Mav||If i were in your position i would convert to an electric water heater ...|
|03-08-2003 09:05 AM|
Definately turn the pilot light out! Don't assume that a home made booth will keep the fumes away from the open flame. Also keep in mind that solvent fumes are heavy, the will pool up around the floor level, and you may not realize the fumes are as bad as they are. In my area, the recomended minimum distance to any source of ignition is 25 feet or more. Dont forget other sources of ignition, auto door openers, light switches etc. Your choice of exhaust fan should be one of aluminum or with an aluminum prop or blade. (sparkproof) It should also have a TEFC motor, a open case furnace motor is not advisable.
Some people say its overkill, but you only need one thing to go wrong to find out the hard way. Use a pleated style filter if you go with store bought filters, they work much better and can be vacuumed for longer life. I use them on my airbrush booth.
|03-07-2003 05:46 AM|
|Dragon J||Yeah, Eddie- put up your plastic but, of course, keep it away from the heater and shut the heater down when you spray. Even turn off the pilot light- no source of ignition should be in any area you spray- just for your own safety. Good Luck!! And enjoy it- painting is FUN and REWARDING!!!|
|03-07-2003 02:33 AM|
|73 Nova Guy||I was spray painting a mail box. I had a cinderblok i was painting on next to the gas water heater and i ignited the overspray.|
|03-06-2003 06:10 PM|
|TurboS10||Just turn the heater off.|
|03-06-2003 05:32 PM|
|Eddie N||so are you guys telling me dont do it at all, or are you saying make sure the heater is off before spraying?|
|03-05-2003 11:05 PM|
|billyjimbob||I agree with mr dragon j I would add that storing anything than has flamable fumes in a room with an open flame is very dangerous|
|03-05-2003 10:57 AM|
|Dragon J||My $.02... but I would NOT spray in any area where there is an ignition source, I don't care what anyone has done. Any particulate which is flammable, ie.: paint,thinners, stabilizers, reducers- can EXPLODE and do so violently!!! I had a brother-in-law killed in a similar circumstance. Remember SAFETY FIRST!!! You can't enjoy a neat ride if you're maimed....or worse!!! take care of yourself!!|
|03-04-2003 10:45 AM|
I built a homemade paint booth in my shop out of 5 mill(I think)plastic and used an attic exhaust fan to pull out fumes. I accidentally forgot to move my truck that was outside the door one day when painting, but to my surprise had no overspray on it. If you are concerned, you could cover your exhaust fan with A/C filter material. It will catch most of the overspray as the air exits. I did this to keep paint out of my efan motor.
|03-03-2003 05:58 PM|
No, 20ft is a pretty considerable distance for overspray to travel. Its heavy a should have fallen to the ground before it reaches the car, but if your concerned just ask him to move it or put on a cover.
|03-03-2003 05:39 PM|
new question... should i be concerned about overspray traveling out of my garage and onto my neighbors car about 20 feet away? i dont have a "back" garage door to open, unless i want paint fumes in my kitchen...
- eddie -
|03-03-2003 11:29 AM|
great! thanks for all the advice.. i think building a booth as descibed above sounds like fun.. where can i find large sheets of clear plastic to enclose a booth?
as a side note, thanks for all of your hard work on the KB.. i've read a lot of your tutorials and have decided to use ppg paints based on your recomendations..
- eddie -
|03-02-2003 10:13 PM|
|snkbyt||I have sprayed 3 cars in my garage but have screwed strips of 1x to the ceiling so I can staple plastic to make a booth.Also have the water heater and furnace for house in the garage + 2 garage heater on the ceiling all gas fired. I open the garage door and the let it down on a 2' square fan then bag the garage door with painters drop cloths. Then open my back garage door and part of the plastic for air flow. Haven't shut down any of the heaters though. The fumes don't get that thick with HVLP. Have sprayed when 10 degrees outside and worked good. Got one just primered today. Ray|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|