|04-28-2006 01:18 PM|
|Biggarmike||The Ford Ranger or it's Mazda clone are good trucks. If you don't get too crazy with the options they can be reasonable. If 2wd is an option, try the F-150 or Chevy Silverado. Again, if you don't go nuts with the options you can get a good deal, especially with the rebates and other incentives. The MOPARs swill fuel pretty badly. If you want to go cheap, Isuzu.|
|04-28-2006 12:40 PM|
No, no...not an "ad". I'm not sure what that means.
Yes, i wasn't sure where to post this. And thanks for recognizing...i do very much so need advice here.
On one hand I have a working, paid for truck. On the other...it's getting on in years.
|04-28-2006 11:48 AM|
actually it looks to me like the might need help finding the right truck for him and with current trucks if its even worth it considering what he already has.
Just a little advice from me on the subject (and if it is a ad shame on you
I would NOT go to a newer s-10, as underpowered as the older ones were they were definetly the strongest. I currently have a 01 s-10 4cyl. and in the last year ive spent over 1000 dollars on upkeep alone.. that doesnt count tune-ups and oil changes. It is hugely underpowered and only gets about 20mpg on average. The 3rd door latch, the seat adjuster and the rearview mirror has fallen off(all known issues with the s-10). And im on the 2nd cat conv., you cant reach anything in the engine compartment, so even changing the plug takes extreme effort. As far as looks go I love it. For a mini truck that is my daily driver i couldnt be happy with appearance inside and out. However Im about to trade it in for a cherokee and cant wait until that day. To answer your question however... If your looking for fuel economy go for the mazda. The dependability will be better in the long run and usually imports do have more power for the mileage. As far as it being an import it is just a rebadged ford. And i personally think they look just about as good.
Not trying to tell you what to do. just a warning and my 2cents.
|04-27-2006 07:44 PM|
|Henry Highrise||Yep! and he put the exact same thing in three forums Guess he never read the rules and site policy huh?|
|04-27-2006 07:36 PM|
Looks almost like an AD to me..
|04-27-2006 06:47 PM|
|Henry Highrise||I'm confused......What does this have to do with Hot Rods?|
|04-27-2006 06:33 PM|
replacement pickup truck - your advice please
Hi, Can i ask you all for shopping advice?
i really hope you all can lend your advice on a replacement pickup truck.
I currently have a 85 black, chevy s-10 v6 2.8L 4x4, rochester 2se carb....with orig engine/tranny nearing 275k miles.
- I keep good care of it, regular oil changes. Leaks a lil bit, but amazing lastign power for an orig 85.
- recently cleaned the rochester 2se carb and replaced necessary/rebuild parts.
- new coil, wires, plugs, air filter
- replaced all bad vac lines
- spent $ not long ago shoring up all exhaust problems (air system driver side, new muffler and pipe).
- transmission fluids changed, new filter, new pan gasket (but still getting some small leakage).
- needs new ball joints and shoring up on steering column
- could use a new paint job of course (but again, looks gr8 for an 85).
- it's got some oil leaks, aand a lil leak at the tranny (i think the pan - even though a new gasket was just put on). Could be rear seal at worst I guess, but it's not "pouring" out fluid...just a small leaking on the y-pipe that will cause soem smoking).
- Of course being a 2.8l v6, it's not the fastest thing, tough to keep up at the freeway speeds (65+).
basically it's been a real wonder truck (lasting...still lasting actually) but an 85 carb'd s-10 4x4 that's getting on in years so i'm thinking - maybe - it's time to look into new pickup truck options. I would like your advice.
- It takes about 3-4 tries each morning to start - but once it starts it operates well.
- last checked gets about 17mpg city, lil more highway
- also: it needs a new rear brake light switch I think and new license plate lights).
- when 4x4 is used, it shifts in out ok and seems to operate fine...but you can sure "hear it" when it's in say 4hi...REALLY HEAR it when in 4lo. not sure if this is normal or a poss problem coming as it's always been this way.
- No a/c (black truck...gets hot in there in pac northwest summers)
I mean this is a tough decision. The truck is working and i've always loved it, I drive it near daily, it hauls what I need to haul sometimes...and hey...IT'S PAID FOR Runs ok, idles ok.
but the transmission is scaring me a bit. It's acting alright...(seemgly no drive/movement issues) except for a vibration - you can feel a bit - that kicks in at 45 or so mph when i put it in OVERDRIVE.
Is this a sign the tranny will go soon? Or could it be another issue or engine sign?
Plus the fact the 2.8L v6, as long as it's amazingly LASTING (runs great when started and ez to maintain), it is known as a "dog" engine with poor design - espec the carbd models (which I have).
So, I'm just doing research now on any solid, USED pickup models (preferably 4x4) that will offer best bang for the buck (good power vs fuel economy).
Can any of you suggest some years/makes/models I might want to focus on for a daily driver / hauling pickup truck (hauling yardwaste, etc)?
I want to be able to maintain most of it myself (oil/tuneups/etc). havn't really set a pricepoint yet...not even sure if it's really time to bag this 85 s-10.
But all i know is this chevy s-10 and wondering if I shoudl stay chevy s-10 or other ...so I'd love your advice.
Or, what kind of cost would I be lookin at with dropping in a better engine and rebuilt tranny ya think? How can one shop for the best price on to rebuild this 85 s-10 4x4? Any parts suggestions or best route to take ...or tips along these lines?
With gas going the way it is...I know i will still want/needneed a pickup truck...but one with at least "decent" fuel economy 9this one isn't bad believe it or not at 17mpg city for a carbd model 4x4).
my searches on vehix.com either point to a 2whl mazda b series or this truck (as far as fuel econ).
I'm NOT looking for a road burner, racing, speedster type - just a solid pickup truck / daily driver that gets decent mpg.
Not sure what models/years to be looking for when considering parts avail, recalls, or past known issues. hope you can help.
thank you so much...this is a toughie for me.