Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-08-2012 11:46 PM
Canzus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
the best reply is , for the last 5 years the fastest mustangs in the land have been lsx powered.. maybe ford flag fliers should work on that..
That's news to me, although one of the fastest cameros is Windsor powered...
02-03-2012 02:58 PM
stich626
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone
Well, to coin a phrase and to revive and old cliche, "You can lead a horse to water, but it might take many years for it to realize that Ford engines are the way to go!"

I think that's how that cliche goes^

Seriously though, I've never been a 'fad' person, and I dont usually go with the flow(except when driving the highway, as its safer)

For that reason, I started liking Fords right from the start, because even by the mid 80's, late 60's-early 70's Chevelles and Novas were everywhere! Plus, most old and newer Hot Rods had 350's....... I just got so tired of hearing everyone talk about how they were going to be installing a 350 into their Nova, Camaro or Chevelle. Also, whenever I saw a 20's-50's Hot Rod, I'd say that 85% had SBC's, and mostly 350's.

So, whenever I went to a car show, or saw a muscle car or Hot Rod, and I asked what engine the person had in it, if the person said "oh, it's a 350", I'd then look at it with MUCH less interest and less respect. Not that I'd totally dislike the car, it's just that it would always be a big disappointment to see the same old, same old. So I'd usually say "looks nice", then walk away with not much enthusiasm.

However, if I saw a Hot Rod or non original muscle car with the 'right' engine, I'd be so much more impressed with it, and it's owner! If they built an old Pontiac WITH a Pontiac engine, I thought that was great, even though I was a Ford guy.

But then, I started to feel the same way about Mustang GT's........ When I went to the dragstrip on Friday nights in the late 80's-90's, there were just Sooooo many Mustang GT's and LX's with 302's(5.0) or bored/stroked versions of the 302. So I became bored with them, especially during the 80's and 90's when the GT had very little factory horsepower.

But that will NEVER compare with my tiredness of seeing 350's in just about everything! Especially when someone puts a Chevy 350 in a Gran Sport, or in an Olds, or in a Mopar, or God forbid......in a Ford, which seems to happen the most!

Most of my friends are/were Chevy folks, although there have been quite a few Mopar guys and a few Ford people(even an AMC guy with a Rambler) and I did always resent the fact that it was so much easier for them to find parts than it was for me to do the same. Try finding parts for either a '65 Comet or a '71 Torino Gt in the late 80's to mid 90's, when there was no internet and almost nobody had computers! We even have a regional street filled with auto salvage yards, but when I called asking for ANY part for a Torino GT or Comet, they'd laugh! They had NOTHING........ So I had to fix or fabricate stuff.

But still doesnt excuse dropping 350's in cars that arent made by Chevrolet, and doing it constantly. Engines and parts from 'other' US auto makers arent that hard to find.
the best reply is , for the last 5 years the fastest mustangs in the land have been lsx powered.. maybe ford flag fliers should work on that..
02-03-2012 02:56 PM
Irelands child Who really cares - if someone is building a street rod/hot rod/ or whatever you want to call it, all the more power to him. If he powers it with a SBC - well I wish he wasn't but at least he is doing SOMETHING. Yeah, I'm partial to Fords, but if someone were drop an LS engine or a Dodge Hemi in my driveway - heck yes, I would use it. I might even consider a Toyota V8 - well, that might be a little extreme - but you get my drift. The alternative is to go to your local ricer dealer or even consider one of the Ford/GM/MoPar off the showroom floor HiPo offerings and add some decoration and call it a "hot rod"
02-03-2012 12:53 PM
CometCyclone Well, to coin a phrase and to revive and old cliche, "You can lead a horse to water, but it might take many years for it to realize that Ford engines are the way to go!"

I think that's how that cliche goes^

Seriously though, I've never been a 'fad' person, and I dont usually go with the flow(except when driving the highway, as its safer)

For that reason, I started liking Fords right from the start, because even by the mid 80's, late 60's-early 70's Chevelles and Novas were everywhere! Plus, most old and newer Hot Rods had 350's....... I just got so tired of hearing everyone talk about how they were going to be installing a 350 into their Nova, Camaro or Chevelle. Also, whenever I saw a 20's-50's Hot Rod, I'd say that 85% had SBC's, and mostly 350's.

So, whenever I went to a car show, or saw a muscle car or Hot Rod, and I asked what engine the person had in it, if the person said "oh, it's a 350", I'd then look at it with MUCH less interest and less respect. Not that I'd totally dislike the car, it's just that it would always be a big disappointment to see the same old, same old. So I'd usually say "looks nice", then walk away with not much enthusiasm.

However, if I saw a Hot Rod or non original muscle car with the 'right' engine, I'd be so much more impressed with it, and it's owner! If they built an old Pontiac WITH a Pontiac engine, I thought that was great, even though I was a Ford guy.

But then, I started to feel the same way about Mustang GT's........ When I went to the dragstrip on Friday nights in the late 80's-90's, there were just Sooooo many Mustang GT's and LX's with 302's(5.0) or bored/stroked versions of the 302. So I became bored with them, especially during the 80's and 90's when the GT had very little factory horsepower.

But that will NEVER compare with my tiredness of seeing 350's in just about everything! Especially when someone puts a Chevy 350 in a Gran Sport, or in an Olds, or in a Mopar, or God forbid......in a Ford, which seems to happen the most!

Most of my friends are/were Chevy folks, although there have been quite a few Mopar guys and a few Ford people(even an AMC guy with a Rambler) and I did always resent the fact that it was so much easier for them to find parts than it was for me to do the same. Try finding parts for either a '65 Comet or a '71 Torino Gt in the late 80's to mid 90's, when there was no internet and almost nobody had computers! We even have a regional street filled with auto salvage yards, but when I called asking for ANY part for a Torino GT or Comet, they'd laugh! They had NOTHING........ So I had to fix or fabricate stuff.

But still doesnt excuse dropping 350's in cars that arent made by Chevrolet, and doing it constantly. Engines and parts from 'other' US auto makers arent that hard to find.
02-03-2012 06:17 AM
Old Fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
I disagree with you, Centerline. I don't think people build Chevy engines because they are "easy" or "cheap", it's because they just like them. Let's face it, it is America's sweetheart, and has been since 1955.

The same way that rodders loved the flathead Ford, or the way bike builders love Harley engines.

It's popularity will meet it's demise someday, but we all might be pushing up daisys before that takes place.

I think that you've just got a bad case of hemirhoids, Centerline. It's okay that you love hemis, but let's face it, more people love Chevys.

You are in the minority.

Nairb, resident, United States of Chevrolet.
The gen 1 sbc is/was an excellent design, but its time has come.
The LS series is the goto replacement. Still a sbc, but other than awesome what is it called?

I personally get tired of the 5.0 swap, every boy with blue blood thinks that is the most awesome swap available. 5.0 'stang, woohoo.

My 65 Mustang is getting a 4.6 sohcammer. Dam near put an LS , LOL.

Not many guys use the 292/312 in the early fords. I would go that route before the 5.0 .

LSX destined for my 80 Vette

Long live the SBC LS
02-03-2012 12:48 AM
hkestes
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Additonally, when you're taking that cross country or cross state trip, you can always find just about anything that might break at the smallest of shops and parts stores. Try getting parts for your period correct 50's or 60's Olds, Caddy, Hemi, etc. in any town, small or large.
well, you'd have to drive then to have that issue.. most don't.. because of just that
If they are not driving them they are poser. I drive my 48 Plymouth Coupe with 59 model flathead 6 and 53 Borg Warner OD on a regular basis without a trunk load of parts. Have made 3 800+ mile round trips from Dallas to Joplin for the HAMB drags, another trip to Joplin as part of the HAMB Tornado relief efforts, twice from Dallas to Austin for the Lone Star Roundup. Have I had any issues? Sure have. Once I broke and alternator bracket about 60 miles from Joplin, pair of vice grips and some wire ties got me to Joplin and a welder. Last trip the starter bendix shot craps in Joplin. Dropped the starter one morning, had it rebuilt at a local shop and back in the car that afternoon for a grand total of $75.





Like Centerline said, "If you set up a non SBC correctly you don't have to worry about stuff like that." There has not been a part yet that I have not been able to get from NAPA / Auto Zone or Oreilly's within 24 hours. Be it gaskets, fuel pump, voltage regulator what ever.

Would it have been cheaper for me to drop a 350 in it? Hell yes but then I would have just another car with no soul. Just another car lacking originality. I am a Mopar guy but have built/owned a couple of small block Chevys in a moment of weakness one in a Camaro and one in a 62 Impala. small block Chevys are fine in the right car (a Chevy) but you will never find one in a Mopar that I own or in a Ford either if I were ever to buy one of those.

When I was looking for my 48 Plymouth, I came across a few that I would have been interested in purchasing until I got to the small block Chevy under the hood.
02-02-2012 05:59 PM
Centerline
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
well, you'd have to drive then to have that issue.. most don't.. because of just that,, A friend did the powertour last year. in car with a oddball catty engine (not a 426/472/500) and filled the trunk with extra parts. just in case, because he knew the local parts stores wouldn't have what he might need.
the air bags helped with the few hundred lb's in the trunk.. he ended up changing out a starter on the side of the road.. lucky he had it..
I'm all for being different, but if that means parking your trailer a few blocks away from a show and only driving it a few blocks, then why have it, if you can't drive it..


one thing that most forget,chevy for all it's faults, and having the last small block rolling of the as. lines in 2002, 10 years later you still can get parts for it from the dealer, even new engines,, something the other makes never stayed with.. ford will sell ya a reman, mopar too.. new will cost ya.. what does mopar want for a crate hemi.. 10k plus.
Other than catastrophic failure parts... pistons, crank, rods, rockers... I can find parts for my early hemis just about anywhere. Starter = Chrysler small block 340-360, oil pump = small block Chrysler, water pump = BBC, valve springs = small block Chrysler etc. If you set up a non SBC correctly you don't have to worry about stuff like that. Now, if your running a nailhead and some of the early Olds engines or a Stud or AMC, it may very well be a completely different story. Ford small block stuff is available almost everywhere as well.

GM will find themselves in the same boat in a few years as not much Gen 1 SBC stuff will interchange with their Gen III blocks. Ford moved on from the 302 with the Mod motor and now the Coyote small block , Mopar moved on with the new generation hemis, and GM has moved on (a bit later than the others) with the LS series. Its just a matter of time.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates
02-02-2012 08:26 AM
stich626
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Additonally, when you're taking that cross country or cross state trip, you can always find just about anything that might break at the smallest of shops and parts stores. Try getting parts for your period correct 50's or 60's Olds, Caddy, Hemi, etc. in any town, small or large.
.
well, you'd have to drive then to have that issue.. most don't.. because of just that,, A friend did the powertour last year. in car with a oddball catty engine (not a 426/472/500) and filled the trunk with extra parts. just in case, because he knew the local parts stores wouldn't have what he might need.
the air bags helped with the few hundred lb's in the trunk.. he ended up changing out a starter on the side of the road.. lucky he had it..
I'm all for being different, but if that means parking your trailer a few blocks away from a show and only driving it a few blocks, then why have it, if you can't drive it..


one thing that most forget,chevy for all it's faults, and having the last small block rolling of the as. lines in 2002, 10 years later you still can get parts for it from the dealer, even new engines,, something the other makes never stayed with.. ford will sell ya a reman, mopar too.. new will cost ya.. what does mopar want for a crate hemi.. 10k plus.
02-01-2012 09:58 PM
cobalt327 I believe a lot of it has to do w/how the SBC (and BBC for that matter) has remained the same through the years. If Ford and Mopar engines would have had the interchangeability of the SBC, they might have been just as popular.
02-01-2012 08:30 PM
1971BB427 I'll start by admitting a nearly 50 yr. love affair with Chevys in general, and that includes SBC, BBC, and the old W head 348/409 engines. Yes, there are lots of them in hotrods, plus even more in all sorts of factory equipped cars since 1955. Must mean they've always been popular.
Many people choose them not just because they're cheap to buy, but becasue the parts are cheap and plentiful both new and used. Additonally, when you're taking that cross country or cross state trip, you can always find just about anything that might break at the smallest of shops and parts stores. Try getting parts for your period correct 50's or 60's Olds, Caddy, Hemi, etc. in any town, small or large.
Two of my three hotrods are SBC, and one BBC equipped. I have no remorse or second thoughts about building a SBC, and I'll continue to enjoy them. I appreciate other brands, but I wont use one just to be different so my engines wont bore people at the local cruise in or car show. I'd rather my car was different, and not worry if my engine is a cookie cutter SBC.
02-01-2012 08:00 PM
KOOLKAR putting a 4.3 and an auto in the international come the spring.

mostly because my clutch leg is worn out.
02-01-2012 05:19 PM
Northstar T Hot rodding to me is all about being creative and different, so even though I do realise the SBC is easy and inexpensive HP, I generally prefer to get outside the box... Well.... 3 out of 4 ain't bad!

Northstar - 5 speed Fiero
215 V-8 Buick - 4 speed model A coupe
Northstar - T5 Bucket T
377 SBC 4 speed Fiero

I guess I need to build a car with an automatic. Now that I list them, it looks like I might be in a rut myself.

Russ
02-01-2012 04:55 PM
KOOLKAR i don't think anyone should get hurt feelings or defensive. just a few old guys spouting opinions is all, and old guys are pretty good at that.

i still remember the firswt time i saw a "clean" firewall. it was a 55 chevy that had NOTHING, NOT EVEN A BOLT, on a beauttifully painted firewall. i just stared at the thing, then complimented the builder.

that's the thing. think different.
02-01-2012 03:55 PM
cherry540 Got an LS1 in my 54 Huh oh its that the new small block chevy
02-01-2012 03:17 PM
painted jester There's still young people out there that have the hot rod heart! I see em every where. They cant afford to buy the new stuff & spend hours sanding and polishing their intakes and alternators looking at new throttle brackets and making their own, making their own scoops. Old skool is still alive and growing but slow. I see the rat rod culture turning more old skool. A little less ratty, safer, better engineering, more detail, etc.

Buying everything over the counter made it too easy even for the people who can think it, engineer it, and make it. Its really good at shows to see something other then cookie cutter parts bought and bolted on. Cars I build for people they want cookie cutter! And you can see why mainly the expense of paying some one to make a one of a kind part , but cars I build for myself I hate it! Sometimes I see on here a guy will ask a question how to do it himself and he'll get all these answers on not doing it where to buy it, some on here even embarrass em and they never come back on the thread (dont think it doesn't happen some have pm'ed me on this)!! So in a way we're talking em into building cookie cutter cars.

Power pack heads , dual point distributors, 283s, 327s, arn't cookie cutter any more! Why talk or belittle people out of building em?
Crate 383s, aluminum heads, electronic ignitions, Thats cookie cutter now. Lets push those!

Buick, pontiac, ford, chrysler, amc, etc, I love em all, Ive built & raced em all. I ran a 440 wedge in a 64' chevelle, 427 high riser in a 240z, 421 pontiac in a Henry J, My 38 plymouth had a Polly head red ram in it, 392 hemi, 409, 283, supercharged 350, olds 425, and a 413 max wedge, When I got bored Id change it. If I could get my hands on a 426 max wedge It'ed go in my vette or my wifes camaro in a minute I worked on em, I raced em, I raced against em, and to me it was the most impressive engine ever put in a production car!!! Racing stats dont mean beens the fastest cars didnt always win!!! Track or drag!! This is all my personnel opinion !

Jester
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.