Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools> water based washer solvent for parts washer
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: water based washer solvent for parts washer Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-03-2007 06:09 AM
brian0605
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteshotrodshop
mineral spirits is not a good choice for a parts washer. it is absolutley horrible to your skin. it will dry and crack your hands in quick order. if it lands on your skin anywhere it will burn your skin if left there. if you get it on your clothes you had better have a change of clothes handy. the fumes are terrible for you. not to mention flammable. the water based fluids work ok and wont eat you up. oh and the tree huggers wont try to shut your shop down if they know you're using it.
It's not a good Idea to put your hand in any of this stuff. prologed and repeated exposure can and will lead to dermititus, and can be painful. Not to mention what is being absorbed thru the skin, not good for the liver or kidneys. It's just a real good idea to wear gloves. Brian
02-02-2007 08:02 AM
mrmercthree Went to my friendly Safty-Clean shop to purchase 20 gal.

got a lesson:

Won't sell to public unless you purchase:

their washer
their fluid
their contract to stop by and clean and recyle fluids...

little expensive for a back yard tinkerer....

Purchase my safety clean at local swap meets...five gal has lasted years... MAC
02-02-2007 04:49 AM
russlaferrera
re: water based parts washer fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteshotrodshop
mineral spirits is not a good choice for a parts washer. it is absolutley horrible to your skin. it will dry and crack your hands in quick order. if it lands on your skin anywhere it will burn your skin if left there. if you get it on your clothes you had better have a change of clothes handy. the fumes are terrible for you. not to mention flammable. the water based fluids work ok and wont eat you up. oh and the tree huggers wont try to shut your shop down if they know you're using it.
IMHO water based cleaners don't clean as well as petro based cleaners. Now for the RANT. Whatever works the best, is the cheapest and won't kill you quickly is the way to go. The "tree huggers" as noble as they think they are are missing the point! Why? It's simple. ALL senate/congress office employees are exempt from EPA regulations. Most large garbage haulers mix all the garbage together and bring it to the land fill ( you separate glass, cans, paper).You use an EPA registered hauler. You are still responsible when they leave it on the side on the road. Some local towns/govt. do not recycle. "It's not cost effective". Looks like the the people who can make a difference do not care! Why should I care?.... Yea I recycle...russ
02-02-2007 02:51 AM
peteshotrodshop mineral spirits is not a good choice for a parts washer. it is absolutley horrible to your skin. it will dry and crack your hands in quick order. if it lands on your skin anywhere it will burn your skin if left there. if you get it on your clothes you had better have a change of clothes handy. the fumes are terrible for you. not to mention flammable. the water based fluids work ok and wont eat you up. oh and the tree huggers wont try to shut your shop down if they know you're using it.
01-18-2007 07:18 PM
paulo 1 Thickness of the atmosfere? Only 9 miles.
01-18-2007 02:51 PM
oldred We tend to think of the atmosphere around us as being vast but one of the guys who used to work at my shop pointed out, and he had credible back up on this, that the thickness of the layer of air around us in relation to the size of the Earth is about the same as the thickness of the layer of ink is to an 18" diameter global map, Just something to think about.
01-18-2007 12:14 PM
brian0605 Ok' Ill concede the fact that 'yes' we used to spew all sorts of crap into the atmosphere and our waterways. With todays technology and regulation things are getting better. I do want to preserve what we have left and even restore what we have screwed up. I am just finding it difficult to swallow an additional $2000.00 per diesel vehicle on the road. Whats the 2000 for you say?? It's what the cost is going to be to add the emissions systems on new diesels, I think the regulations go into effect in 08'. Just an FYI I don't know how many out there are familiar with the Sprinter van by dodge, (Mercedes in Dodge clothing). It has had Cat converters since 02', the exhaust for these is $1000.00 for a replacement. Well gearheadforever I have really enjoyed the conversation on this, looking forward to reading more from you, maybe I'll try to stay on the topic at hand next time!!!????LOL Brian
01-17-2007 05:54 PM
Gearhead forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog
Weather patterns change, you may not have snow this year, but I got hit hard! And What about the 3000 mile long ice storm that just hit?

Not to get into a political diatribe about global warming but Yes, I believe it's true - but I'll gaurantee warming trends have happened before in the earths history, and unless the rest of the planet joins in any of the TRILLIONS of dollars that we spend will be useless.

Besides the fact that just 1 natural disaster such as a major Volcanic eruption spews more toxic materials than all the people the world over and would fix all the warming problems by cooling the earth off!

And I'll just say one more thing, remember the Tsunami in 04? It's was so powerful it knocked the Earth from its axis by 1 degree, so a lot of the changing weather patterns, such as Western Washington actully getting snow this year, were probably forced by that rather then Global Warming...oohhhhh!
I'm not saying mother nature has no bearing here, and that warming trends haven't happened in the past. This we know is true, but nobody can convince me that this trend isn't at least partially caused by the state of our environment. Isn't the reason for these crazy weather patterns & mega storms not caused by the depleted ozone layer to begin with? I'm thinking this is quickly becoming our new reality.

What isn't normal is the levels of toxins & mercury in our lakes. Gin clear water in our un-inhabited lakes and sign postings/charts of what size fish are consumable.

What isn't normal is the depleted ozone layer.

What isn't normal is clearly visible smog over our cities (not just LA)

All of the above are directly related to emissions (ok...not so much about solvents, but you get the idea)

This isn't a debate...just stating the obvious. We can't keep hiding our heads in the sand saying: "it will cost too much, its too late or its just a trend".
01-17-2007 05:50 PM
brian0605 Thanks for bringing up the volcano info, that little piece of information is often overlooked by the media and the tree huggers. I am not saying we should be irresponcible and just dump crap into our waterways and keep pumping pollutants into the atmosphere. I am a firm believer in recycling, oil,paper, cars, glass, and the list goes on it just makes sense. But right now we have some of the lowest emissions vehicles in the history of the automobile. What I want everyone to really think about is fuel millage. I drive an 81 Datsun as my work car (no comments please it's cheap and good on gas LOL). It gets about 30mpg in town, now why is it that with all of our technology that in 26 years EFI still can't out perform the standard carburetor??? The same is true for alott of V-8 cars and trucks. Yes it's true they have improved the V-8 millage alittle but it has not kept up with technology . I Personally believe that the oil company's have a lot to do with it. If fuel consumption goes down so do there profits. Did anybody see the oil company revenues not long after HURRICANE KATRINA, they posted record profits. Say what you want but give it some thought first. I'm not one for big conspiracy theories, I just think there is more to it than we will probably ever know, or they will admit to. Brian
01-17-2007 03:27 PM
Rambo_The_Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead forever
Huh???

Where did this come from?

Since you brought it up, we do have to start using our heads as far the environment goes - right across the board. I can't stand the thought of what is going to be left for our kids. Its not about tree hugging, more like a responsibility. The reason we haven't had any snow (here) this year is not because of a natural warming trend or cycle. We need to wake up. No global warming or acid rain??? B.S. I can see it with my two eyes. Gin clear lakes and no snow. evidence enough.

The archaic thinking "that its too late, we've always done that, or its someone else's fault or problem" needs to be changed. It doesn't start with our kids...it starts with us.

Sure we can't implement tons of changes in industry overnight. The steps should be bigger and closer together...and yes it's gonna cost money. Cheaper to clean it up now than pay later.
Weather patterns change, you may not have snow this year, but I got hit hard! And What about the 3000 mile long ice storm that just hit?

Not to get into a political diatribe about global warming but Yes, I believe it's true - but I'll gaurantee warming trends have happened before in the earths history, and unless the rest of the planet joins in any of the TRILLIONS of dollars that we spend will be useless.

Besides the fact that just 1 natural disaster such as a major Volcanic eruption spews more toxic materials than all the people the world over and would fix all the warming problems by cooling the earth off!

And I'll just say one more thing, remember the Tsunami in 04? It's was so powerful it knocked the Earth from its axis by 1 degree, so a lot of the changing weather patterns, such as Western Washington actully getting snow this year, were probably forced by that rather then Global Warming...oohhhhh!
01-17-2007 08:10 AM
Gearhead forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0605
The problem here is all the tree huggers want us to save the world and all it's pit falls. Blame our cars for global warming,sit around holding hands hugging trees, eating bean sprouts and tree bark, and telling us how horrible we are for eating a nice 16 oz t-bone occasionally. The fact of the matter is that I have used the "safe" water based solvent. We used to have it in the portable wash vat that we cleaned up brake parts and wheel ends when repairing axle seal leaks. It worked quite well and was water based. Was made by Safety Kleen. And as far as all our tree huggin buddies, what are they gonna do when they shutdown all the 18 wheelers because they have driven the cost to make the fuel thru the roof or they start trying to shut them down saying they just pollute to much, economic crash and starvation due to no products able to make it to the market place or the cost to build these new trucks is through the roof so it cost a fortune to get it there.Sorry to get on a soap box I'll do a thread on that someday. Brian
Huh???

Where did this come from?

Since you brought it up, we do have to start using our heads as far the environment goes - right across the board. I can't stand the thought of what is going to be left for our kids. Its not about tree hugging, more like a responsibility. The reason we haven't had any snow (here) this year is not because of a natural warming trend or cycle. We need to wake up. No global warming or acid rain??? B.S. I can see it with my two eyes. Gin clear lakes and no snow. evidence enough.

The archaic thinking "that its too late, we've always done that, or its someone else's fault or problem" needs to be changed. It doesn't start with our kids...it starts with us.

Sure we can't implement tons of changes in industry overnight. The steps should be bigger and closer together...and yes it's gonna cost money. Cheaper to clean it up now than pay later.
01-16-2007 07:16 AM
Rambo_The_Dog NAPA Auto Parts (if you have them in your area) sells 5-gal buckets of solvent for parts cleaners

Stay away from Safety Clean - I had a BAD experience dealing with them.
01-16-2007 07:04 AM
jcclark
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjohn
Maybe a block heater?? Just an Idea.
John
That sounds like a good idea.
Maybe an aquarium heater? The type that's submersable
(totally sealed)
and not glass but the black plastic kind.
I bet that would work good.
Might be a good tip
01-15-2007 06:18 PM
russlaferrera
water based solvent for power washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo 1
Pardon my ignorance,but what is this mineral spirit made out of? A by product of petroleum? Some sort of kerosene?
You are correct. As a general rule petroleum products clean or thin out petroleum made lubricates best. The faster they evaporate the better they work. The down side is the faster they evaporate the flash point is lower which increases the fire hazard....russ
01-15-2007 06:00 PM
paulo 1 Pardon my ignorance,but what is this mineral spirit made out of? A by product of petroleum? Some sort of kerosene?
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.