Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Big Time Car Girl
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Big Time Car Girl Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
12-21-2007 06:06 PM
Bryan59EC [QUOTE=79C10well anyways -
I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas , and if you don't celebrate it , have a good 25th of December.
Mike[/QUOTE]


Thanks for not saying Happy Holidays

And Merry Christmas to you as well--(and to everyone else).
12-21-2007 05:56 PM
79C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You work in the advertising business making slogans and you say they don't effect people?

*********************************************
No , I said ADS don't affect MY buying decisions..... I think slogans are cool .....

*******************************************


Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree.

*******************************************
I don't know if we disagree , or are just talking about different things altogether.
***********************************************



But a huge majority of the public is not like you.

Brian
I will admit to that last statement. And it's a damn shame. I try to be an honest , hard working , dependable citizen and a loving , caring father to my kids. And a good husband for my wife , etc.
I just don't pay much mind to singing frogs ,or has-been actors pushing products on me.
12-21-2007 05:45 PM
79C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Being brain dead may explain my psychosis. I'll admit that when I need something advertisements can be useful in finding what I'm after, but I certainly can't say that advertising ever caused me to run out and buy something simply because I saw an ad somewhere.

My wife does that though, she see's an ad for something and has to have it, as do most of the women I know from daughters to those I work with. That begs the Rush Limbaugh question: That when guys see an ad and run to the store to by the latest Nike shoe because some basketball player said this is in, is this part of the feminization of the American male?

I use GM equipment and parts because in my experience, I've had the most result, fewest problems, and least cost from their stuff. Knowing they've made some big mistakes as well, so I'm certainly not worshiping at a Chevy shrine. You won't find a rear window sticker in my pickup proclaiming "I'd rather walk than take a ride in a Ford". Fords are number two on my list of faves because I've had good results overall with a higher cost and more problems than GM, they ain't perfect either, but there's some real gems in what they make. Chrysler is number three simply because their way of getting to things is to my brain backhanded at best, against cost and effort, I've gotten the least consistent result with and from their stuff. It's often the simple things about them that bugs me. I don't buy Asian or German can't see rewarding either of them for WWII. And trust me in neighborhood if you aren't driving a Beemer or a Benz, you ain't with the in-crowed. Everybody at Starbucks or Tulleys when I go for coffee on Sunday mornings looks at my old GMC and thinks I'm the gardener/handyman. Only a few know that my S-15 can blow the best of these Nazi cars in the weeds. My buddy Paul refers to it as a ZO6 disguised as a pick up. I have to laugh at the Subaru commercials with the little deer wandering around their Indiana factory and all the good words about how environmentally friendly they are. That's pretty easy to achieve when you do all the dirty work, like casting, machining, and painting in Asia while doing nothing but simple nut and bolt assembly of those parts in Indiana.

Advertising like politics is best viewed when wearing boots.

Have a good Christmas everyone, I closing the store for a long week off.

Bogie
I'm with Bogie .

And I think I learned something today . I thought everyone looked at ads the same way I do - with complete indifference. Turns out , some folks really buy into that stuff. Who knew?? : Probably the same folks who watch reality shows or Hollywood gossip shows....

Oh and Brian - I don't make ads - I make slogans and mottos .
I have done a few radio commercial scripts , but try to refrain from it.
A slogan should really capture what the company represents.
An ad is 95% hogwash.
I like to capture people / places in words . I don't like ads , though. If that makes any sense. I will admit - straight out -
You are RIGHT
.... in the realm of what you are talking about , marketing , product placement , etc. there IS a whole science to it , and it is effective.
And in the realm of my original statement - I am right.
Ads don't affect MY buying decisions. I wasn't speaking for anyone else . Maybe it's just part of being a country boy my whole life. Maybe it was growing up poor. I think it stems from my love/hate relationship with authority. But I hate to be told what to buy /what to drive etc.

well anyways -
I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas , and if you don't celebrate it , have a good 25th of December.
Mike
12-21-2007 03:57 PM
oldbogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Advertising works on your subconscience. You might THINK it doesn't affect you, but you're dead wrong.

Antny
Being brain dead may explain my psychosis. I'll admit that when I need something advertisements can be useful in finding what I'm after, but I certainly can't say that advertising ever caused me to run out and buy something simply because I saw an ad somewhere.

My wife does that though, she see's an ad for something and has to have it, as do most of the women I know from daughters to those I work with. That begs the Rush Limbaugh question: That when guys see an ad and run to the store to by the latest Nike shoe because some basketball player said this is in, is this part of the feminization of the American male?

I use GM equipment and parts because in my experience, I've had the most result, fewest problems, and least cost from their stuff. Knowing they've made some big mistakes as well, so I'm certainly not worshiping at a Chevy shrine. You won't find a rear window sticker in my pickup proclaiming "I'd rather walk than take a ride in a Ford". Fords are number two on my list of faves because I've had good results overall with a higher cost and more problems than GM, they ain't perfect either, but there's some real gems in what they make. Chrysler is number three simply because their way of getting to things is to my brain backhanded at best, against cost and effort, I've gotten the least consistent result with and from their stuff. It's often the simple things about them that bugs me. I don't buy Asian or German can't see rewarding either of them for WWII. And trust me in neighborhood if you aren't driving a Beemer or a Benz, you ain't with the in-crowed. Everybody at Starbucks or Tulleys when I go for coffee on Sunday mornings looks at my old GMC and thinks I'm the gardener/handyman. Only a few know that my S-15 can blow the best of these Nazi cars in the weeds. My buddy Paul refers to it as a ZO6 disguised as a pick up. I have to laugh at the Subaru commercials with the little deer wandering around their Indiana factory and all the good words about how environmentally friendly they are. That's pretty easy to achieve when you do all the dirty work, like casting, machining, and painting in Asia while doing nothing but simple nut and bolt assembly of those parts in Indiana.

Advertising like politics is best viewed when wearing boots.

Have a good Christmas everyone, I closing the store for a long week off.

Bogie
12-21-2007 02:38 PM
AntnyL Advertising works on your subconscience. You might THINK it doesn't affect you, but you're dead wrong.

Antny
12-21-2007 01:29 PM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
I must be psychologically deprived or something, I go to the store what ever store from Nordstrom's to NAPA to pick up something I need whether a new suit or a water pump. I go to where I can get help for what I need, I make my selection, suits being more time consuming than water pumps, I pay and leave. I do not wander the store looking at things I didn't come to purchase. I don't go to stores or malls and wander about looking at stuff just to kill time.

My wife like to drag me to Bell Square mall in Bellevue, Washington, it used to be OK when they had the model train store and Borders Books as there was something of interest to me. Now Those have gone out of business so whenever she drags me along, I take some hot rod books and just sit in the car and read, or go to Starbucks for a plain coffee of the day and a newspaper, sip and read till the old lady comes for me.

The only store I cruise is the Harley dealer when I'm hunting for customizing ideas.

When adds come on the TV I'm on the remote to change channels. However, I've found in recent years that apparently the producers figured out that people do this and now it seems everybody on the 100 plus commercial cable channels breaks for commercials at the same time. As a result, I just turn the TV off and go read or head for the shop to get some work done. So my productivity is going up and my relaxation time in front of the TV is going away. What really ticks me is these programs on the Science/History/Speed channels that start with 10 minutes of a program and deteriorate into 3 minuites of show separated with 5-6 minutes of ads. I just shut it off, so there's lots of programs I've seen the first 10 minutes of and little else, till I bought a TiVo unit. Now I can watch these shows uninterrupted when I want. First thing you discover with TiVo, when the commercials are cut out out, the typically a one hour show only has about 20 minutes of meaningful content. This of course increases my efficiency as I no longer waste 40 minutes out of every hour to get 20 minutes of information or entertainment.

Same thing on radio, as soon as a long music set is over, I'm changing stations, but my really big frustration is the news stations, when I'm setting in non-moving traffic and having to listen for the traffic report every 10 minutes separated by 1 minute of news and 9 minutes of commercials, I just shut it off. I stuck anyway so I really don't need and announcer to tell me that every ten minutes.

On the web, I have a fire wall that's so good only 1 out of a several thousand ads ever sneaks thru. When I have an interest in buying something I'll go look at ads, otherwise I'll go to great lengths to eliminate and avoid them.

Bogie

Refer to Pipgamelectic's post.

Brian
12-21-2007 12:30 PM
pigjamelectric Thanks Brian Although I just reread my post and the editing was a bit of a wreck. I think I'll feel better about it after I have a Corona...
12-21-2007 12:23 PM
oldbogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
If you think you are not being effected by advertising and go about buying what you "want" you are kidding yourself. We are ALL played like puppets and we ALL do things directly related to it.

EVERY SINGLE THING you pick up at the store is marketed to YOU to pick it up. From the shelf that particular item is on, to the direction you turn when you first walk in the store, to the color and size of the package to the music played in the store to the products it is shelved with to the items you pass going to it in the store to the price and on and on. Marketing is a science, a science that BILLIONS of dollars are spent on every year.

You ARE a product of that marketing. Just the fact that you think you are not effected is the proof that it works.

Brian
I must be psychologically deprived or something, I go to the store what ever store from Nordstrom's to NAPA to pick up something I need whether a new suit or a water pump. I go to where I can get help for what I need, I make my selection, suits being more time consuming than water pumps, I pay and leave. I do not wander the store looking at things I didn't come to purchase. I don't go to stores or malls and wander about looking at stuff just to kill time.

My wife like to drag me to Bell Square mall in Bellevue, Washington, it used to be OK when they had the model train store and Borders Books as there was something of interest to me. Now Those have gone out of business so whenever she drags me along, I take some hot rod books and just sit in the car and read, or go to Starbucks for a plain coffee of the day and a newspaper, sip and read till the old lady comes for me.

The only store I cruise is the Harley dealer when I'm hunting for customizing ideas.

When adds come on the TV I'm on the remote to change channels. However, I've found in recent years that apparently the producers figured out that people do this and now it seems everybody on the 100 plus commercial cable channels breaks for commercials at the same time. As a result, I just turn the TV off and go read or head for the shop to get some work done. So my productivity is going up and my relaxation time in front of the TV is going away. What really ticks me is these programs on the Science/History/Speed channels that start with 10 minutes of a program and deteriorate into 3 minuites of show separated with 5-6 minutes of ads. I just shut it off, so there's lots of programs I've seen the first 10 minutes of and little else, till I bought a TiVo unit. Now I can watch these shows uninterrupted when I want. First thing you discover with TiVo, when the commercials are cut out out, the typically a one hour show only has about 20 minutes of meaningful content. This of course increases my efficiency as I no longer waste 40 minutes out of every hour to get 20 minutes of information or entertainment.

Same thing on radio, as soon as a long music set is over, I'm changing stations, but my really big frustration is the news stations, when I'm setting in non-moving traffic and having to listen for the traffic report every 10 minutes separated by 1 minute of news and 9 minutes of commercials, I just shut it off. I stuck anyway so I really don't need and announcer to tell me that every ten minutes.

On the web, I have a fire wall that's so good only 1 out of a several thousand ads ever sneaks thru. When I have an interest in buying something I'll go look at ads, otherwise I'll go to great lengths to eliminate and avoid them.

Bogie
12-21-2007 11:58 AM
Bryan59EC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You are soooooo much better at this than I am. Yep, I was trying to say that. If you KNOW about Corona beer and how it may go good with lime and a beach, the ad effected you, PERIOD.

Brian
Never did understand why someone would buy beer that needed a lime flavor added to make it palitable

Why not just buy beer that you can drink with no additives?

And WHERE did we find out that crappy beer needed a lime anyway??

(Bryan is not a beer drinker---but still cannot make any sense out of getting a cold one from the icebox----and then have to cut up some fruit before drinking)

(Canadian Club---not from advertising---I like the taste)
12-21-2007 11:44 AM
35WINDOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
They work, or they wouldn't be there, that is my opinion. If you never see them, of course they are not going to work.

Brian
Brian,

You are correct-Advertising works-I have a$400K budget, and I advertise a lot. I can definitely see the difference when I do, and if I get lazy and don't-it effects my Store sales, dramatically.

As I was reading this Thread, I remembered some of the things they taught us regarding Marketing and such. One thing they taught us that people will look to their right 90% of the time when they enter a Store (pay attention next time), so you put loss leaders to the right, or something that you are featuring. They also taught us to put things in Customers' way or they may not see them, so if you walk into my Store right now you may trip over something, but you will see it! There are so many more-

In a previous position, I was in charge of designing and opening a new, Multi-Million Dollar location. I had a bunch of different Products that needed to be displayed, and, these Products were of different Categories (this was John Deere Dealership (Ag/ Construction), and we also were a full-line Kawasaki/Honda/Artic Cat/Polaris Dealer. Now, this all may sound simple (it isn't), but I hired an Agency that all they do is design Dealerships (sly on my part, eh?). Anyway, they designed it so that the Bike/ATV/Watercraft Customers were not offended as well as the Ag guys versus the Construction guys. It is a science, and the location was a huge success-

You get hit every day with a lot of subliminal messages, and they do affect your buying decisions-I see it in action every day-
12-21-2007 11:18 AM
MARTINSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjamelectric
I bolded the last part of your statement because it's so significant in the Buying Cycle:

Awareness - Search - Evaluation -Trial - Purchase

The fact that we see the ad, you we are now aware of the product and it will likely seek it out or recognize it more easily when we see it.

Just to add to what dinger said about the cologne. Advertise the snot out of something like "Uncle Ned's Secret Back Woods Formula" promising girls will throw themselves at you, it just might sell.
You are soooooo much better at this than I am. Yep, I was trying to say that. If you KNOW about Corona beer and how it may go good with lime and a beach, the ad effected you, PERIOD.

Brian
12-21-2007 09:17 AM
pigjamelectric
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10
Just to re-cap -- I don't buy things based on ads - I buy things that I want or need , no matter if I saw an ad for it or not.
I bolded the last part of your statement because it's so significant in the Buying Cycle:

Awareness - Search - Evaluation -Trial - Purchase

The fact that we see the ad, you we are now aware of the product and it will likely seek it out or recognize it more easily when we see it.

Just to add to what dinger said about the cologne. Advertise the snot out of something like "Uncle Ned's Secret Back Woods Formula" promising girls will throw themselves at you, it just might sell.
12-21-2007 09:01 AM
pigjamelectric I used to teach Promotions. It was weird teaching about something that so gets on my nerves. But fact is advertising works. Here's a little gem from the textbook we used.

Why Is It?

A man wakes up after sleeping
under an ADVERTISED blanket
on an ADVERTISED mattress
and pulls off ADVERTISED pyjamas
bathes in an ADVERTISED shower
shaves with an ADVERTISED razor
brushes his teeth with ADVERTISED toothpaste
washes with ADVERTISED soap
puts on ADVERTISED clothes
drinks a cup of ADVERTISED coffee
drives to work in an ADVERTISED car
and then...
refuses to ADVERTISE believeing it doesn't pay.
Later if business is poor he ADVERTISES it for sale.

---

Have fun with the next telephone solicitor and say, "Oh, you want to SELL me something! Thank God. I thought you were another collecting agency."
12-21-2007 08:42 AM
dinger
Quote:
No, it's not. It's brainwashing and it irritates the heck out of me. Two of the last three movies I saw in the theater were loaded with advertising.
I agree with that, it's very irritating. I realized how advertising affects people my freshman year in high school, Hai Karate cologne, a massive ad blitz, the stuff is putrid but hey, now you have to beat the women off with a stick. Some of these movies with the star drinking a Coke, they do all but stop and say "Buy Coke."
I worked in the grocery business til I was 27 years old, I would see sales reps and product suppliers dang near come to blows over placement of their products. This is in the late 70s, it's much more of a science now. Get Paris Hilton to carry brand X purse, drink a Perrier, wear brand X sunglasses, count your money...and she's a dumarse! I see younger people bowing to peer pressure more so than older folks. Thankfully my wife is not like this! Take a trip to a Kraft factory, the store brand names come out in the same production lines, sometimes a slight change in the formula. Go to a 99 cent store or the Food Outlet stores, these places carry a lot of discontinued products, I like to peruse and see if I recognize any from advertising. Some of the food products are pretty good, some it's obvious why they are no longer produced, they suck. My wife loves those places, but we've thrown away more than one dinner when it was inedible. Dan
12-21-2007 08:07 AM
MARTINSR This is wild, this is friggin wild. You work in the advertising business making slogans and you say they don't effect people?

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree. The fact that YOU don't see many ads because you don't watch tv and or don't let the ad manipulate you because you are on the inside and see it coming is one thing. But to say a blanket statement "I've always wondered why big companies even advertise" is whole different story.

They work, or they wouldn't be there, that is my opinion. If you never see them, of course they are not going to work.

If they don't work on you because you are so sensitive to them that is fine, and very possible. But a huge majority of the public is not like you.

Brian
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.