Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior> Vinyl skin?
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

Thread: Vinyl skin? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-14-2008 03:50 PM
esahlin Your always a great help Dan. Thanks. I'll have to figure out what I'll like best.... covering them in new vinyl sounds kind of nice. I'll look into it.
07-14-2008 03:04 PM
DanTwoLakes Yes, you are talking about the two texture painted ( I would call it more of a pebble finish) metal pieces that attach at the rear of the armrest, and then go up and curve back from the armrest. The ones for the Cutlass weren't going to match the new vinyl of the seats and the rest of the trim, so I covered them in the new vinyl, too. I mistakenly uploaded pictures of the lower armrest. I don't have any pics of the upper pieces.

Find a wire wheel attached to a bench grinder and take off all the old coating. Then you have a couple choices. One is to repaint them with texture paint. Planet color offers a texture paint something like the original. I'm sure any good painter could duplicate the pebble finish that was on them originally. CLICK HERE Or, you glue new vinyl onto the clean metal pieces with high temp contact adhesive. You could even put some 1/8" closed cell foam over them first.

If you decide to paint them, take a better picture and post in the Body-Exterior section.
07-14-2008 01:01 PM
esahlin My picture isnt that good but just to make sure I am clear....there are two sections I am showing in the pics. one is the lower part that is definately vinyl skinned this part has the ashtray in it and is the entire lower rectangular part shown in the pics. You can buy the vinyl cover for larger rectangular piece and even the larger metal piece that the vinyl glues to. This vinyl has a small bit of padding behind it.

Tha part that I am trying to fix is that upper arcing part (comes up from armrest base and arcs a bit backward). this screws to the actual vinyl armrest rectangular section. this arcing piece is metal and has a very thin coating (I think it is paint) that is textured. This is the coating that is flaking off on my piece. I might have been mistaken in calling it a vinyl skin but that is what I thought I read.

I'll try to find that catalog that lists them. they dont carry them as repros only as a "used" part.
07-14-2008 12:12 PM
DanTwoLakes About the only thing you can do is strip them down and glue a new layer of vinyl onto them. I just did that with a 1970 Cutlass that had the same type of armrest bases. These bases weren't chipping off on the surface, though. Are you sure you can't buy them as N.O.S.? I could have bought the whole set for the Cutlass for $108 from Legendary Auto Interiors. They were plastic reproductions, but I'm sure they would have worked fine.

Check on page 82 of Classic Industries Firebird catalog. HERE
07-14-2008 11:23 AM
Vinyl skin?

These are pics of some metal somethings from my rear armrests on my 68 Firebird. These metal pieces that screw to the rear armrest base are "textured vinyl skinned" according to one of the parts catalogs. These pieces are not being reproduced as far as i know. The "vinyl skin" on my pieces are flaking off cause of rust underneath. Is there a way to get the textured look via painting the metal or is there anything that can be done to get it to look original. I am not that intent on reproducing the original look but if it would be fairly easy I would consider it. Otherwise I am fine with just paint. thanks.

I should add that it sure doesnt seem like its a vinyl skin that is flaking off more like textured paint.....but I dont really know.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.