Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Next upgrade for the money pit. A 4-speed. Which 4 Speed is the best choice?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Next upgrade for the money pit. A 4-speed. Which 4 Speed is the best choice?

Here's a question that's never been made into an opinionated pole, and I feel it would be an interesting thread.

Question: There are only about two choices for moderately-priced, GM overdrive transmissions: The 200 R-4 and the 700 R-4 (including all of its nick names throughout its service). Which one of these transmissions makes a better street transmission? bowtieoverdrives.com Makes versions of both beginning around 850 dollars and ending at about 1280 dollars with respective horsepower ratings ranging from 350 to a steady diet of 600+ HP and torque. Presupposing this aftermarket companies' claims are correct about their transmissions ratings (many vouch for their reputation, so I'm inclined to believe).

I've been reading a bit about the trannys and I'd have to say that personally I like the 200 better. It still gives you a bit better than the TH350 first gear (2.74 as compared to 2.52) and has a lower overdrive than the 700 (.67). Furthermore, many have expressed dislike at the 700's steep first to second drop in ratio (about 1.5!).

What are your opinions and why?

K