NHRA tech - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

NHRA tech

How tough is the NHRA Tech on older race cars. Specifically, a Pinto that used to run on an 8:99 index some years back and now is ready to be reintroduced though we'd hold it back to low 10's. Is the recertification for the slower class that tough??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

It's not bad. What they mainly look for is tube size, wall thickness and correct location.
Bob
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

here are the NHRA 2006 RULES ...joe
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
here are the NHRA 2006 RULES ...joe
Yea, I found those revisions online also but it doesn't detail what I have to pass to run no faster than 9.99. This cert. is somewhat important as I haven't bought the car as yet and there is no track close by to run it through tech. b4 I buy! Its a car that was run in the late 80's & early/mid 90's and just want to tone it down & have fun racing in the 10's!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

sounds like u need to buy a rule book then, BUT i would bet u'll have to bring the car up to todays codes...joe
Old 06-02-2006, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

The rules are enforced at the track when you enter a race. For certification they are looking at the chassis only and the car can even be striped down to a bare chassis. I would get it certified or at least have it checked by a chassis builder if you want to go quicker than 10.00. Any rules that the track enforces will usually require minor changes if any. Good luck and go have some fun.
Bob
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

NHRA tech

My car was built legal in1990. At that time the class was 9.99 to 7.50. I have 1 year left on my tag but had it gone over anyway to make sure the rear bars were legal. Some earlier cars have to have helmet bars replaced & added. The new time for the same license; "4B" ( up to 125" wb, Comp-Super Comp,ET, SG,SS, SST & SPTC) is 8.49 & slower. Division 1 tracks cutoff in Heavy Eliminator is 9.0 with no electronics.

I'd recommend that you completely remove all trace of your old chassis tag. Tech sometimes get nervous when they see an expired tag and if you pull the old one off, it spells VOID.
Then, you might not be able race the car at all. Mind you that interpretation of the rules can be at the discretion of the individual track owner, so completely remove the old tag. Hope this helped

Last edited by y112; 06-02-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

The good news is you do not need any chassis certification or re-certification whatsoever for NHRA if you are running slower than 10.00 seconds in the quarter mile. Removing the old cert sticker sounds like a good idea too.

To run low 10's legally, you will need an SFI single layer jacket, SFI flexplate/ flywheel-bellhousing, SFI bellhousing shield for automatic, SFI auto trans shield/ blanket, SFI 5-point seat belts less than 2 years old, SFI harmonic damper, aftermarket axle shafts, longer wheel studs for aftermarket wheels, and a driveshaft loop. (this list is off the top of my head- may be more.) More good news- this is all basic racing equipment and your car should have all of this already except for new(er) seatbelts.

All that is needed chassis-wise to run 10.00 and slower is a five point roll bar (main hoop, rear bars, and driver side door bar) *provided that vehicle has unaltered floor and firewall. (if you had a convertable top- there is more required) Your car should definitely have more than enough roll bar/ roll cage.

Only if you plan on running 9.99 and faster do you need to worry about chassis cert. Your old roll cage should be good to 8.50 seconds without need for additional bars/ updates. If you run faster than 9.99 you need a competition license, more driver safety gear, etc.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajohnb
The good news is you do not need any chassis certification or re-certification whatsoever for NHRA if you are running slower than 10.00 seconds in the quarter mile. Removing the old cert sticker sounds like a good idea too.

To run low 10's legally, you will need an SFI single layer jacket, SFI flexplate/ flywheel-bellhousing, SFI bellhousing shield for automatic, SFI auto trans shield/ blanket, SFI 5-point seat belts less than 2 years old, SFI harmonic damper, aftermarket axle shafts, longer wheel studs for aftermarket wheels, and a driveshaft loop. (this list is off the top of my head- may be more.) More good news- this is all basic racing equipment and your car should have all of this already except for new(er) seatbelts.

All that is needed chassis-wise to run 10.00 and slower is a five point roll bar (main hoop, rear bars, and driver side door bar) *provided that vehicle has unaltered floor and firewall. (if you had a convertable top- there is more required) Your car should definitely have more than enough roll bar/ roll cage.

Only if you plan on running 9.99 and faster do you need to worry about chassis cert. Your old roll cage should be good to 8.50 seconds without need for additional bars/ updates. If you run faster than 9.99 you need a competition license, more driver safety gear, etc.
Ok thanks, this is the info I was looking for. The car does have altered floor pans and firewall though!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.