Hot Rod Forum banner

NHRA tech question

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Beenaway2long 
#1 ·
To get a frame certified for NHRA use does the weldor of the frame have to be AWS certified? couldnt find anything in the rulebook. thanks Brian

#2 ·
If its not in the rule book then I would guess not. However...when they inspect the car they could still gig it if it had a bunch of sloppy looking , unsafe looking weldswelds. As long as the weld are good and look good...I think you will be OK.

#4 ·
The BEST thing you can do is call your local track(or NHRA.com- in your division), and see who the NHRA inspector is for your area. Give them a call for what THEY are looking for.
I've seen certified cages that our local guy won't pass.

Big thing here is EVERY joint has to be WELDED FULL PERIMETER.

NO grinding of welds. Period. They would rather see a catapillar of a weld (Cold) than any grind marks on a hot joint. (Hard to believe, but true)

All tubing thickness better be to spec, or it fails.

Mig for Mild Steel (Tig is acceptable, but Mig is preferred) , Tig for Moly. NO STICK WELD.

Your BEST BET is to buy a kit from a recognized manufacturer like Alston, Quartermax, S&W, etc. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a "Pipemaster" for doing your joints. Best $50 you'll EVER spend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.