Nice dolly available at Harbor Freight. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,114 Posts
Nice dolly available at Harbor Freight.

I just picked up a dolly at Harbor Freight that I thought some of you may be interested in. This bugger was only $14.99 and a super deal. It is forged not cast like other cheapie tools (you know how I hate this place but I have to go there once in a while don't I?) I was doing a project on my Gran Sport that needed some sheetmetal fab and I forgot to bring home some dollies from work. I ran over to Harbor Freight hoping to get something and found this treasure. It is a super tool to clamp in the vice as I did and hammer your work right over it. The second one is a football shaped one, I left that there getting a regular toe dolly on a long handle instead (only $6.99!)

Brian

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93232

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

HF is a love/hate relationship isn't it? It never fails to surprise me when I find a cheap yet well made useful tool there. I love that place! Until I buy a $1 hammer that shatters like glass when I go to drive a nail! Thats a neat dolly anyway...
Old 10-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,114 Posts
Yeah, love/hate, that is a good description. It is 95% absolute garbage. But there are a few treasures. One of the apprentices at work bought a door skin kit with a rubber dolly and skinning hammer for $12.00 or what ever it was I forget, but CHEAP. And it is a darn good set.

I really have to force myself to get a cheap air tool so I left the one there that I saw, how about $6.99 for a die grinder!

What I am going to do is buy a new super kick but one for work (they are about $150 on the tool trucks) and bring home my smaller used one for home.

Brian
Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

[QUOTE=MARTINSR]I just picked up a dolly at Harbor Freight that I thought some of you may be interested in. This bugger was only $14.99 and a super deal. It is forged not cast like other cheapie tools (you know how I hate this place but I have to go there once in a while don't I?) I was doing a project on my Gran Sport that needed some sheetmetal fab and I forgot to bring home some dollies from work. I ran over to Harbor Freight hoping to get something and found this treasure. It is a super tool to clamp in the vice as I did and hammer your work right over it. The second one is a football shaped one, I left that there getting a regular toe dolly on a long handle instead (only $6.99!)

Brian

nice catch
Old 10-14-2006, 09:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The 6.99 Air grinder is awsome. I paid $1 more for the " Kit " that has a brass air plug and some grinding wheels, but none the less, works fine. Also bought the $9.99 3" cut off wheel, and it's awsome also. I have 1 of there Air body saws, and it does work but, it seems to jamb up sometimes. I know a lot of people say not to buy electrical tools from them but I bought a small 2 gal compressor at 1 of there blowout sales for $50, and as 1 of there regular on sale items, there regular duty 14" chop saw. so far, they both work awsome. I got my 110v Flux wire welder there also, and I cannot complain about that ither. Most of the stuff in the line of tools, I buy there, because it is cheap enough for me. I'm a high school student and altho some things I could get away with not having ( Chop saw, small compressor ) they make my life easier, the Chop saw has been used for sizing up exhaust tubing and just yesterday I cut a peice of 1/8"X1" flat stock for a bracket to mount my coolant recovery tank in my falcon, using existing holes for the bracket, so I didn't have to drill new 1's.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

at first I opted for some of HFs air tools I soon learned that they are a bit , can i say over rated. I have replaced those with IRs, the IR brand have all the power needed to do the job. With their power you do NOT get all that stalling (grinding or cutting) and the added bonus, they run quieter........... see even in air tools it all comes back to horsepower , funny how that works. No they are not the cheapest air tool, however I believe with what my time is worth and that ability to get the work out puts the price of IR tools on a equal price playing field with the HF .
Old 10-15-2006, 05:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

I bought a rt angle HF die grinder about 5-6 years ago - while its a bit short on power for use with carbide burrs, it turns RollLocs just fine. I paid, if I recall, about $20 including ~$7.00 freight as there wasn't a local store here yet. When (if?) it dies, I might take a plunge for a good one.

Dave
Old 10-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

They have an adapter kit with 3 or 4 different "heads" that work with a palm nailer gun for body work I've been thinking about. Course,I need a palm nailer too.. LOL....
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

I am always badmouthing cheap tools but it seems like I just can't pass that darn place up when I am in the area. I have a 4" grinder that use 4 1/2" disks on and I have abused this thing for almost 4 years now, cost was $14 plus sales tax I have a metal cutting bandsaw that I got for $149.00 that I have used for the same length of time and it is the same story, it just keeps on chugging! I dulled the blade that came with it the first day but replaced it with quality bi-metal Morse blades and this thing cuts fast and most importantly VERY accurately. I have gotten a few duds also but for the most part what I have bought has been worth far more than the prices I paid and by now I have accumulated a bunch of stuff from there. I would definitely not recommend these tools for a pro making a living with them, most of them anyway, but for home and hobby use most of that stuff is just fine.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have to agree with oldred. They are fine for the home hobbyist.

When I know I am going to use a tool over and over, it has to be quality. HF has some junk, but some of them are fine for occasional use. I have quite a few things from there that I use occasionally.

Besides, its fun to go look around in their stores.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.