Hot Rod Forum banner

nice raw metal

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Hellzapoppin 
#1 ·
i would like to know the steps to go from 90 coats of paint to slick bare metal. i have the best air tools-- body file, adj speed sander, and gravity gun all from snap-on and matco.
i need to know what paper grits, if i need to use a stripper or not, and the steps in doing so.
great thanks for any info :)

#2 ·
Sup iv been stripping my car from hella coats of paint to. Iv been using Aircraft low odor paint remover it works great but costs like 20 bucks a gallon at an auto parts store. Iv also been using a Paint & Rust stripper attachment that goes on the end of a die grinder.. IT works great makes the metal real nice when done it softenz the body filler off of the car thought. Thats all iv done with the whole paint stripping scene good luck

#3 ·
Sandblasting is probably one of the best ways of cutting through all of that stuff. Just have to be careful because like anything, it creates heat, and can cause warpage.

I've been stripping my panels with a DA-Sander, and it's not much fun. I only have a siphon sandblaster, I don't think it has enough "UMPH" to blast large panels.

#4 ·
I've been stripping my 73 Nova for about a year, it just takes so long b/c i'm just using an orbital sander and well i can't stand the smell, but lately i've really been getting into it a lot. I use like paint and refinisher stripper, burns the skin thoe if ya get enough on ya for awhile, but i would use it like soften up the paint and then i would take off the paint while it was wet with a putty knife, works pretty good and gets to the primer pretty quick. thats my help as i said i don't do much but i try

#9 ·
Which ever way you choose make sure you use the proper safety gear. Some methods don't take prisoners.
One method of stripping filler I have read about uses a hot air gun, apparently, you warm the filler up and use a scraper to remove it in lumps. Mind you, you need to be careful with heat and body panels but it would save putting clouds of dust around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.