Nissan 300zx - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Nissan 300zx

What do you think of vertical rise doors on a 1986 nissan 300zx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Im pretty tired of those doors. People around here put them on anything and everything.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM

not where im from. they are never seen
Old 03-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

2 things to consider besides just looks (they’re totally not my thing and I feel they’re overdone, but I also think they’re kind of cool):
- they’re a lot more work then you think they’re going to be, unless you’ve done a set already you’ll be surprised and you’ll learn quickly why shops charge as much as they do to “install a simple kit.” Especially if you try to make it look/work REALLY right and work out some way to hide the extended wiring…
- Most kits do nothing to reinforce the pillar structure that they attach to. That pillar was never designed to see the load of the whole door swinging on one point and a strut strong enough to hold the door up. If you want the thing to look and work well more then a couple of years consider taking that whole area apart, pulling out the welder, plasma and band saw and figure out how to properly reinforce it.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
You are a bright dude Silver, few people think about stuff like that.
Though I have no intrest what so ever to do something like this, I love the real Lambos that have the doors open like that (the LP500 Countach was first displayed back in 1971, hardly anything new these days)

However, I have taken a good look at the hinges available to do such a thing and found them to be pretty darn impressive pieces of engineering. But as Silver says, the cowl hinge mounting point was just not designed to support the weight of the door like that. On your 300, if it has T tops or a sunroof, that weight could cause you some serious problems.

Like I said, the hinges are impressive, not that they are perfect, but that they even come anywhere near working. Which is the extent of it, they "come near" working, but they DON'T "work".

If you will notice on the Lamborghini the roof is at such an angle that when the door comes down it "lays" down into the "hole" in the body around the window. On most cars, as in your Nissan, the door "swings" into the "hole".

Soooooo, those hinges allow the door to SWING out, then Pivot UP. When closing they pivot down, THEN you have to swing it IN to the "hole". They are friggin STUPID.

Like I say, I have looked at and played with them a number of times, looking for one that actually works well, everyone I have looked at , SUCK in operation.

The door and body are always full of marks and dents where the door has hit somewhere it is not supposed to because the friggin thing is waving around like a sheet in the wind. The are a JOKE plain and simple in my opinion.

You want "Lambo" doors, buy a Lambo.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.