Nissan Altima GXE belt tensions... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Nissan Altima GXE belt tensions...

Can anyone tell me the correct drive belt tensions or rules of thumb for belt tensioning a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE? I have the belt diagrams which show the tension check point for the A/C compressor belt at the midpoint of the belt tensioner and crank pulley. There is a threaded tensioner screw on the idler pulley...no spring loaded tensioner.

The tensioner for the alternator/water pump/power steering belt is the midpoint between the idler and the alternator pulley. The alternator has a screw adjuster for setting the tension...again, no spring loaded tensioner.

I do not have a tension gauge but can use a belt deflection guideline if one exists. My other alternative is to measure the screw length exposed on the adjusters now or count turns on the adjusters when removing or reinstalling the belts. The present tensions seem fine but the belts must be removed to do a water pump job.

It appears that the geniuses who built this beauty did not expect water pump jobs to be an enjoyable procedure! The worst pump job I ever did previously was on a Ford Taurus but that one now looks like a piece of cake by comparison. I loved those old V-8's with nice open space out front!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

That's a good question. Might be better asked to a mechanic at your local Nissan dealership. I would try that question on the service writer in the garage who will probably grab one of the mechanic's to answer you. Hope this helps! PS: the mechanic might even give you some tips/tricks to make the job easier or something to look out for.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM

Drive belt tensions...

Thank you for commenting. I ended up taking measurements of the screw length on the tensioner adjusters and counting turns. I'll check with a dealer or a local garage as you suggested to see what they can tell me.

I just finished the water pump job and it definitely restored my complete curse word repertoire back to Navy days!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.