Nissan Altima MIL Code P1126... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Nissan Altima MIL Code P1126...

I posted a question within the past week regarding a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE on which a pending malfunction P1126 turned into a MIL Code and lit the "check engine lamp". From various web sites I found that the manufacturer specific code description of P1126 was "thermostat function". In a later conversation with a mechanic he told me that his information called it "thermostat stuck open". I was suspicious of this since the thermostat had been changed just 6 months ago.

As it turned out, for the benefit of anyone who offered me advice, and most of the tips were useful, the thermostat was fine but the garage who installed it did not have it centered up in the recess and a small constant flow of water was constantly bypassing the thermostat. This small bypass flow, although small, must have been sufficient to keep the initial thermal cycles detected by the "engine coolant temperature sensor" too small to be considered a functional thermostat.

I also found that a fiber gasket had been used and the instructions, although confusing seemed to imply that a "liquid gasket" or blue RTV sealant should be used in place of a gasket. The thermostat had apparently slipped down from the engine side recess and the fiber gasket held back the water for a while until recently when it severed through and permitted a bypass flow. I found the gasket cut in the area where it had been pinched by the careless installation. The job was done around December and it took until July and some long distance drives to show up.

Thanks to those who offered me advice on this problem. I initially eliminated the "coolant temperature sensor" by checking its resistance as the car cooled off after driving and found it to be about what the resistance chart claimed in the procedure from a hot engine to a cold engine.

awbazar

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.