Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Nitrogen to spray with? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/nitrogen-spray-113153.html)

JR66Ford 04-05-2007 07:47 PM

Nitrogen to spray with?

Anyone noticed any diference using nitrogen to shoot their paint with? I can get a 230 bottle(biggest) for $16, so it's cheap enough if it makes a difference. I know I wouldn't have a water problem.

10Tonhammer 04-05-2007 08:14 PM

It seems to me that the sear volume that you would need to do any major painting would steer you from that. I realize 16 is cheap for a 230 bottle but when a good gun sata or similar need 11cfm or better you would go through a lot. I personally have never in 6 years a a single problem with water in the lines. All I've ever used to paint is a 5 horse 60 gal compressor with a desicant dryer and a motorgaurd filter on the gun. Though I could see portability being good when say airbrushing on site or t-shirts or something. It would be interesting to here from somone with expriences with that process.

Kris,

Blazin72 04-05-2007 09:14 PM

I have no experience paint whatsoever but the one thing I would be concerned with is the fact that you'd only have a finite supply. I'd imagine you'd have to closely monitor the pressure in the bottle and stop before you run out otherwise you might problems with consistency. I dunno, just my thoughts.

302 Z28 04-06-2007 06:41 AM

Not even considering the supply capacity, nitrogen can be deadly. The industrial community is very aware of the dangers associated with workers entering vessels that have had nitrogen purges on them. OSHA has even gone so far as mandating different line connectors for oxygen and nitrogen so that they cannot be interchanged. The only way I could think of it being used would be with a forced breathing air supply.

Vince

Augusto 04-06-2007 11:49 AM

I have one air dryer/filter at the 60 gal compressor outlet and another at the end of the pipe that carries the air to the "paint booth" ( actually a semi closed shack with a steel roof ) never had water problems.
Augusto.

BarryK 04-06-2007 04:27 PM

This is a very bad idea.
Paint companies use nitrogen to purge the air out of their hardeners because nitrogen is heaver then air. (nitrogen blanket)
Even the paint companies are smart enough that the majority of them do not package their own hardeners and there is one company that is all they do is package hardeners for the paint companies with automated equipment.

Ist problem is the nitrogen will cover the floor like a blanket because of its weight, so dropping a hammer or a piece of metal on the cement can cause a spark and that would be the end of that.

Next, it is highly unlikely you have explosion proof lights and outlets in your garage.
Also unlikely you have an explosion proof exhaust fan that circulates the air four times an hour.
Also unlikely you have proper grounding wire straps for you and the tank.

Just a very unsafe and bad idea to avoid a few drops of water, in my book.

61 chevy 04-06-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryK
This is a very bad idea.

Ist problem is the nitrogen will cover the floor like a blanket because of its weight, so dropping a hammer or a piece of metal on the cement can cause a spark and that would be the end of that.

Next, it is highly unlikely you have explosion proof lights and outlets in your garage.
Also unlikely you have an explosion proof exhaust fan that circulates the air four times an hour.
Also unlikely you have proper grounding wire straps for you and the tank.

Just a very unsafe and bad idea to avoid a few drops of water, in my book.

aaahhhh...Barry.....Nitrogen is an inert gas..nonflammable. :thumbup:

confused 04-06-2007 04:56 PM

they are starting to use nitrogen in automtive tires now. shop air in tires will be obsolete soon.

BarryK 04-06-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61 chevy

Did not know that! now I do.

Bee4Me 04-06-2007 05:06 PM

Airbrushing would be the only usable way for it. Trying to paint a vehicle or even parts would not be feasable,not enough volume for the job. Using the necessary regulator is a MUST as nitrogen is extreamly high pressure,around 3000 psi in the cylinder and can literaly blow your head off or the hose beat you to death.I use it almost daily and have seen first hand the results of misuse. NOT pretty. It can displace oxygen in an enclosed or sealed area,so proper ventilation IS required. Nitrogen regulators have a male fitting adapter,Oxygen is female so it's not easy to connect the wrong regulator.
Nitrogen IS a safe and usable propellent source but the proper regulator and ventilation IS required.

Don Lyon 04-06-2007 05:40 PM

Nitrogen to spray with.

It's an inert gas,used for servicing aircraft tires AND PURGING FUEL TANKS AND CELL'S.
. Air up your tires and those of every one you know and paint with a compressor.

adtkart 04-06-2007 06:09 PM

Don is right on the money. It is used to displace oxygen to reduce the chance of explosion and fires. That same oxygen that you need to breathe. Since such a large percentage of the air is already nitrogen, it doesn't take a whole lot to make the percentage of oxygen in the air so low it is useless for breathing.

Aaron

JR66Ford 04-07-2007 11:58 AM

I knew there was some reason no one was using it. Thanks for the insights.

JasonR

Barrybomb 04-07-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61 chevy

Nitrogen is very easy to find,If I recall correctly,75% of the air we breathe is made up of Nitrogen.

I'm not a chemist,but I believe that Nitogen does not react with many things,if anything.

But who wants to be a guinea pig? Couldn't you get a cylinder filled with regular air at 3000 psi ? I'm also curious as to how far it would go,could be used for off-site painting,with no access to a compressor,and you know it would be clean and oil free.

61 chevy 04-07-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR66Ford
I can get a 230 bottle(biggest) for $16, .

I would venture to say the 260 + 260 cubic feet. ...So 260/12 ( my uneducated guess on cfm of hvlp gun )=21.666. So I would guess that you would have no more than 21 minutes of supply available at this rate. Although the actual time would be less if you figure in the effect of flow verses presure. It is a holiday weekend and I refuse to embark on such mathmatical formulations. :thumbup: