nitrous and fuel help I HAVE 3 DAYS TO GET DONE GUYS - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This thread has to be the most desperate sounding plea for help that I've read on this forum so far, bar none!
Unless you have a terminal illness with nothing to loose and just want go out with a bang, ...... 675HP, DANG!!! sit back and enjoy the ride!!
Read up and ease your way in, there is always next time.

Duke

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

After reading the OP first post, Which took 15 minutes to read for the lack of a period and proper spelling. I noticed that he made a comment about retarding the motor 6*. I have been reading a lot on nitrous systems and how to tune them, as I have a Nitrous Express Main Line 1000 on a truck. You need to contact the company that makes the system you have now and ask them about setting it up and tuning it. a good start on timing is 2 degrees for every 50 hp you go up. So if you go up to your 180hp jetting (Which i have never herd of before) then backing out 8*-10* of timing is a good start.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Southern customs

Yes this motor was built specifically for a 200 shot and yes my drive train and everything else is built to handle way more than the "huge spike" ill be getting from 200 hp the drive trainci have could handle more horsepower than any single person could afford to put in a vehicle. And I have spent hours and hours a week for a years reading and researching but everything I find is about as helpful as I have found these forums to be nothing but contradictions and personal opinions. Which is why I joined here so I could ask direct questions and hopefully get direct answers. Also if I included every detail about this build and this class you would then understand y this seems "desperate" but I didn feel including all of that would be necessary since it would not effect the questions in anyway. And im not a dumb *** even though some things ive said and asked may seem that way because I do not know everything about nitrous and several of you know way more than me. If I did I wouldnt be asking questions trustme there is something that I know more about than each and every one of you but I would never question your intelegence or come across as a jack *** just because you didnt know about it I never said I would be putting nitrous on and hoping for the best and running it or without making sure it was tuned properly. Actually my goal was to find out how to hook it up properly and tune it properly so I wouldn't mess anything up 20 replies later and still havent got any help on that. Just alot of smart ***** telling me how ignorant this is. And that may be true but if I knew that I wouldn have been trying to do it. Some of u did give some good advice most of you just useless remarks. Where I come from that aint the way we do things I would go out of my way to help any of you if I knew alot about something you didnt understand. I would be ashamed to have the knowledge that some of you have and be such a know it all dick head about it to others that dont have the tresources and experience I will no longer use this site but since it has been brought to my attention I'll try using more punctuation marks every where else I go since yall think that is more important than even knowing the specs on the application. Ill see if using periods from now on finds me any more hp. Yall haveca great day
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Talk about down in flames! Sounds like your tidy whiteys just did a melt down. I think most the guys here were trying to save you from melting a piston from rushing this install and seeming to be urgent about getting it going this weekend.
The advice about not rushing on a new build, and learning to set up your nitrous was folks trying to help you avoid burning down a new engine build. Sorry you saw that as not being helpful.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Can you post a vid of you running over the crank?
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg T For This Useful Post:
Choppinblock (07-18-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc423 View Post
And I have spent hours and hours a week for a years reading and researching but everything I find is about as helpful as I have found these forums to be nothing but contradictions and personal opinions.
I've seen a man pick little bits of piston out of his exhaust pipe.

Now that we've warned you.... go find a professional to set this system up for you..... Or don't.

Next, we're going to advise a poster on the right way to rebuild an engine for his Cessna 172.... He's read up on it.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
Can you post a vid of you running over the crank?
Love it!!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Southern customs

No nothing like that no hard feelings and ive decided this weekend I will not be running the nitrous unless the partial sponser endsnup having an extra day to come(which is y he wasnt doin it originally) if he doesnt then I will have a couple more weeks to hopefully find someone to help and to the last reply trust me I have spent more hours reading than i have working on this for the past year I guarentee no one has done the ammount of research on one build as I have on this one. And thats because I have no help I dont have any family or know any body that I can ask questions or learn from so my only source for answers is the internet and books and usually can find answers in black and white no guess work but with this everything I read tells you something different. Today alone I had a tech from summit and a tech from jegs give me two opposite answers. Which is why I came here to begin with hoping to take some of the confussion out. From wat I read I clearly understand all nitrous basics how it works how to plumb it and how to wire it what I cant find clearly is exaxtly how to do my setup and do it right and safely. And everyone doesn't have access to professionals. No way that everyone in racing history everywher had a professional do there nitrous the first time and those professionals didn wake up one day knowing everything they had to learn it. There's no body within a miles of me that can do it and obviously no one hear that will either but somewhere online there is someone who can tell me cut and dry "this is wat you need to and when u hit the button itll be right" I aparently came across the wrong way here and gave u a completly wrong opinion of me and made it seem I had donecno research on this. But only because I cut straight to the point. If u look on googl3 you will find this forum is the worse about regular users giving smart *** answers and coming across as better than you. If yall only knew me you would know wat ive went though on this and how much research ive done and know that I dont have the options or help some of you have so let me make this clear. I KNOW THAT IF NITROUS IS WRONG IT WILL BLOW YOUR MOTOR I KNOW THAT YOU SHOULDNT TRY IT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. IVE READ EVERY FORUM AND THREAD AND INSTRUCTION MANUEL WATCHED VIDEOS SUBMITTED TECH QUESTIONS AND ASKED EVERYONE I COULD.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Southern customs

But before I never use this site again I think it would be interesting to ask all of you the queation I asked sumkit and jegs this morning and see wat your input is. What is the best way to feed your fuel side of nitrous. One good pump and 2 regulators? A seperat cell and 2 pumps? Or what? Is ther anyone that can give me an answer not an opinion andctell me why that way is the best
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

My experience with techs at both Summit and Jegs is to not trust either to give me a good answer. When I've talked to them in the past, some info they gave me was so wrong I couldn't believe my ears! Like the tech who told me it was OK if a timing gear was a slip fit on the crrrankshaft, and didn't need to be pushed on with an install tool! Holy cow!
Anyway, to answer your question. I don't use nitrous, but have a couple friends who like it, and they don't run a separate fuel tank. They run one tank with two feed lines, and two regulators. One regulator to the normal carb feed, and one to the nitrous system. Both run separate electric fuel pumps, and also have pressure switches on the NOS system to kill the engine if pressure drops below a certain level. That will save the engine in the case of a fuel pump failure.
I don't think you need separate fuel filters, but if your fuel cell has two output fittings, I would use two, just because I could. If it's only one outlet, then I'd plumb in one filter, and T it to each pump and regulator. Of course you'll want fuel shutoff switches to each pump also, so you can leave the nitrous system off until you're ready to use it. A bypass switch WITH INDICATOR LIGHT will need to be installed around the pressure safety switch, so you can start and run the engine. The light should be wired so it comes on when the nitrous system is on, and you know it's ready to run.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Southern customs

Im sure I pissed a few you off and the feeling is mutual. Its a shame though that its all due to misunderstanding. So im gonna give more detail for the question this time. Okay I have to make a decision today on fuel pump. Even with nitrous out of the question but I want to buy one that wil work with nitrous as well so that's y I need to know if I should use one with alot higher gph or 2 seperate ones. The current pump is a edelbrock performer rpm with no regulator 110 gph rated up to 600 hp. I bought it before I had this motor. The carb is a holley 750 with alot of work done to it so I dont no the exact cfm. It came from the guy that is now doin a partial sponser. I didn speak with him untill this week about all this. Now ill tell you wat his idea and thoughts are to see if it sounds right to you. He said the current carb isnt enough so he will have a new one ready for me today it is a 850 double pumper (a tech guy with software told me from the specs on my motor his software says I need like 962 cfm) so is my guy right on this 850? He also does not use nitrous but knows about it and has buddies. After we spoke he made a phone call and came back to tell me I need one pump near fuel cell with -10 lines and 2 regulators. He suggested holley black (which is only rated for 750 hp...so if that is accurate it wouldnt be enough) thats when I called summit tech and jegs to ask their pump recommendation and if they could get me one here by tomorrow. One of them said I dont need to do it this way one of em said this is the best way to do it. My guy is coming tomaro evening to set all this up for me so I have to order it today which will cost extra to have it here tomorrow. What I need to know is the plan he has sound right? Or is the carb still to small. Also another idea that was mentioned from A buddy is since I wont be spraying and itll be hard to get a good pump bu tomoro was to get the one from the shelf at a parts store and use it as a booster to the mechanical pump I have just to run this weekend. I dont know anything about how that works so idk if its a good idea or not. One concern is the guy doin it made one phone call and came back with the first answer he got but from the hours ive spent reading ive not been able to find one answer for this that several people agreed on so how do I no this one individual he called is right . Im looking for the best way to have a fuel system I can trust for this saturday. If that means a booster pump for now or ordering something else I just don't know wat to do. And maybe it isnt as critical as im making it maybe 6 one way half a dozen the other but I dont know thats why im asking.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Southern customs

Thank you for that answer great info! Can u tell me why I would need two pumps and couldnt use one with a high enough gph and use separate regulators. Also could you explain the bypass thing? Ive never used an electric pump and have never had anything that required upgraded fuel system so im still a little new to it
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc423 View Post
But before I never use this site again....
Here's a poke in the eye..... but just one last question. - Really?

This is pathetic.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

As I mentioned, I have never used nitrous, and probably never will, so I can only guess as to why those I know use two pumps. My best guess would be insurance. They don't want to run out of fuel to the nitrous plate, and have a meltdown. Also the same reason they use a pressure switch to shut down the engine if the pressure drops.
A bypass switch simply wires across the pressure switch contacts to allow the engine to fire if the nitrous pump is shut off. It wont be needed if you run one pump, unless that pump is a mechanical. A mechanical wont have pressure at starting, so you'd need a bypass switch to allow the engine to start, and then turn it off once pressure was up, and the pressure switch would complete the circuit and keep the engine running.
If you have a sponsor who is providing tech and parts, he should be knowledgeable enough to make these same recommendations, and I would defer to his advice. If he thinks the 850 is enough, then use it. Too small a carb wont cause engine meltdown, and only drawback would be it starves a little on the top end. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to install a pressure activated kill switch on the nitrous system already. It's vital to keep from melting the engine if fuel pressure drops.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

no pics? i smell a troll. do it, hit it with 180 shot and see what happens

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.