nitrous and fuel help I HAVE 3 DAYS TO GET DONE GUYS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Southern customs

Wiki Edits: 0

nitrous and fuel help I HAVE 3 DAYS TO GET DONE GUYS

okay guys ive made a few other people post on this truck but this is critical and I need help ASAP this is on a small block chevy thats pretty out there on the edge this Saturday will be the first time out in a year with new motor trans and tcase its been a uphill battle for me to build this and im struggling at this point hoping somehow I can make it! I know very little about nitrous I have been lucky enough to find a guy thats kinda doing a partial one time sponsership by setting up my fuel system building a new carb and telling me exactly wat pump to use and installing the two regulators and setting timing for me today one for carb and one for nitrous but he is not comfortable setting up or tuning the nitrous for me. So I will b doing it myself and will not be able to test or tune it before this race. I no my timing need ls 6 degrees of retard for spray my question is if I retard it and I have WOT switch and the proper jet for 180 shot does that mean everything is right does that mean I wont hurt the motor if I arm it and retard it and my fuel pressure is right goin to the carb and regulator is set right for nitrous then everything is ok? Wat do I need to set nitrous regulator at? Does any one have plumbing diagram for this? I just need to know wat to do to set this nitrous up for this weekend and know that everything is safe someone give me a step by step? Guys im srruggling and running out of time

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Yikes. I know you're in a hurry but holy cow man, throw in a period or two.

The wee bit I know about nitrous is.... say a quick goodby to the engine if you get it wrong. Set a red line limit 'cause >10K RPM is bad, and use the proper motor oil, and goose the oil pump's pressure, and a wet system is different from a dry system, and use the octane rating that your engine has been tuned to use, and use copper spark plugs gapped down for better spark in an ionization unfriendly environment and.....

Here are a few links:

New to Nitrous?

Nitrous System

Try the Google. ("setting up nitrous system") Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Southern customs

Thanks man also I guess I should add some info about this system its a nos cheater plate kit I plan to use 180 shot for now. Its on a carburated 423 small block. I keep hearing from people how easy this can turn into a disaster which is wat im not understanding. I thought it was either its right or its wrong. Use the right jets right pressure and right timing and everything was fine but apparently im wrong. I know alot of you guys frown on nitrous and frown on younger guys like me that throw it on there not knowing wat they are doin as a quick fix to go fast. But you just have to understand the different circumstances im in and why I have no choice buy to use it for now. So please dont judge me based on wanting to use it just understand im in a bind right now and need some help.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

If you're just squirting in a 180 shot with a dry system you're hosed. Period
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I'm a young guy and I race. I understand the desire to go fast. I've been around guys that throw that much nitrous at an engine and walk away with a pile of junk. The best way to do it is to sneak up on it. Start a 50 shot until you get comfortable with the tune and what you are doing, and then step it up. There are books on Nitrous tuning. Get one, read it and then do it. There is a lot of info on forums, not all of it is good. Search for nitrous tuning online. Head over to yellowbullet .com and look at what the Nitrous racers are doing. Learn from them.

My advise with nitrous, start it rich, work into a big shot and be very conservative on timing. You do that and you'll help keep your engine in one piece.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Southern customs

Hosed period? Can u explain? And btw this isnt a drag car its a very very extreme mud truck not like the ones u see around town and im trying to b at the throttle king race saturday
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc423 View Post
Hosed period? Can u explain? And btw this isnt a drag car its a very very extreme mud truck not like the ones u see around town and im trying to b at the throttle king race saturday
Engines are designed, tested and built to do this: burn vaporized gasoline (a slow burning fuel) in an atmosphere that is 21% oxygen. Increasing the ratio speeds up the burn rate (faster explosion). Speeding up the burn rate allows more available time in the combustion chamber to burn more fuel. A harder, longer burn per explosion can burn holes in the tops of your pistons among other calamities.

Feed a little oxygen to a lit cigarette to see the effect.

I've seen an 'experienced' mechanic blow up an engine in 2 seconds flat because they got something wrong. You're running a mud truck? 6-7,000 revs for 10 to 15 seconds under heavy load.... Ummmm. Oh, BTW, how's your drive shaft? At it's limit w/o nitrous-style HP/torque?

Search the web and read. You might stumble into success. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Southern customs

The truck is s10 body on tube chassis with rockwell 2.5 ton axles 6.72 gears chrome molley drive shafts and four link with tractor tires with 423 around 675 hp without the bottle th 350 trans manuel valve body and actually will be turning about 8200
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, if you're already at 675 HP why do you absolutely have to have nitrous for this race? I don't do mud racing, but couldn't you run the race without?

If you lost, but kept your motor intact, would that be better than losing the motor?

Not much help, but sometimes when you try to force things to work they just get worse.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The truck is s10 body on tube chassis with rockwell 2.5 ton axles 6.72 gears chrome molley drive shafts and four link with tractor tires with 423 around 675 hp without the bottle th 350 trans manuel valve body and actually will be turning about 8200
Be sure to try to avoid pumping too much burning fuel past the exhaust valves.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

I don't think anyone here in their right mind would tell you its safe to run a new motor AND a new nitrous setup without tuning.

The fuel and nitrous jetting charts are normally pretty conservative so you should be ok as long as your carburetor is also tuned correctly. Normally you start out small and work up. It would really suck to blow that 675hp engine because you didnt have the time to tune it.

I don't know what plate system your using but you should consider a perimeter system, they offer better A/F/Nitrous distribution and you can avoid lean cylinders.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Southern customs

Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,161 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
okay guys ive made a few other people post on this truck but this is critical and I need help ASAP this is on a small block chevy thats pretty out there on the edge this Saturday will be the first time out in a year with new motor trans and tcase its been a uphill battle for me to build this and im struggling at this point hoping somehow I can make it! I know very little about nitrous I have been lucky enough to find a guy thats kinda doing a partial one time sponsership by setting up my fuel system building a new carb and telling me exactly wat pump to use and installing the two regulators and setting timing for me today one for carb and one for nitrous but he is not comfortable setting up or tuning the nitrous for me. So I will b doing it myself and will not be able to test or tune it before this race. I no my timing need ls 6 degrees of retard for spray my question is if I retard it and I have WOT switch and the proper jet for 180 shot does that mean everything is right does that mean I wont hurt the motor if I arm it and retard it and my fuel pressure is right goin to the carb and regulator is set right for nitrous then everything is ok? Wat do I need to set nitrous regulator at? Does any one have plumbing diagram for this? I just need to know wat to do to set this nitrous up for this weekend and know that everything is safe someone give me a step by step? Guys im srruggling and running out of time
This might be the saddest post I've read yet on this forum. How much did it cost to build this motor? Had to be a minimum of $15,000. Are you independently wealthy? Doesn't the fact that your partial sponsor isn't comfy with tuning that mess tell you something? Now, you're on.....I don't know how many forums,........ looking for advice from folks who may or may not know more than you do? Sad deal.

If I thought there was no chance to place without the N2O, I would stay home and learn about it instead of going stupid and fraggin' the motor. I mean REALLY, wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

If you're going to throw Nitrous at it without tuning it properly, you're likely to have an expensive pile of broken parts. Do some reading and figure out how to tune it correctly. Its not worth destroying your engine for one hero pass. What are you doing to retard the timing? Are you using an ignition box to do it or are physically moving your timing back at the distributor? What piston and other parts are you running? A forged piston is practically a requirement with Nitrous, especially at that level. Did you build this engine with the intent of hitting it with Nitrous? Is your cam timing appropriate for Nitrous? Some are really not a good choice for use with Nitrous. Whether you're drag racing or Mud racing, the tuning is still the same and very important. Are you sure the rest of your drivetrain is up for the huge torque spike that comes with Nitrous?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

NOS isn't something I'd rush, even if I'd done it before. It's better to be safe than sorry. An old saying, but it sure applies to this situation! Do as recommended and stay home if you don't have time to be 100% positive that it's correct. You don't get 2nd chances with nitrous.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.