nitrous with high or low compression? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 AM
brains

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

nitrous with high or low compression?

I would like to know your opinions on nitrous with compression ratio. I have the options of 9:1 to 11:1 compression. Without debating on gas or octane needed, which motor would respond better to the nitrous. Assuming the motor was all forged and bulletproof. Which one would make a better nitrous motor or doesnt it matter?

9:1 motor @ 450hp w/300 shot of nitrous total 750hp
11:1 motor @ 500hp w/250 shot of nitrous total 750hp

Would one experience more wear or heat. Would one motor tend to have more problems. Would one make a better street motor. I can find any articles on nitrous vs compression. Since both motors make the same end hp which is a better choice for use with nitrous

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Nitrous is basically a liquid supercharger. If you run the low compression option it will be easier on parts, but will be a "pig" when not on the bottle. If you run the higher compression it will be better off the bottle but will be harder on parts when on the bottle. I know you didn't want to put octane into this, but it will play a HUGE role. In either case with over 200HP shot you will need to run race fuel in at least your enrichment circuit (separate fuel system/cell and pump for the nitrous).

If this is a race only car and will always be on the bottle I would probably run the lower compression. If it is a street car I might consider the higher compression so I would have more power while normally aspirated.

Make sure you pick a nitrous friendly cam. Wide LSA just like a blower (which you are familiar with)

Royce
Old 03-19-2004, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

The 11 to 1 engine. But just remember you won't gain 250 HP on a 250 Shot. If you get 75% you would be lucky. They rate those for perfect conditions.

Chris
Old 03-19-2004, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Nitrous loves high compression. Look at guys like Switzer and Glidden. 16 to 1 C/R's. Myself I run 12.4 to 1. As long as you keep all the safeguards in place, the right fuel, the correct timing and plugs, you should be in good shape. With the MSD 7 set up I have, when the N2O flows, it automatically pulls the timing out. I run an NGK "V' power number 10 plug, and have a Hobbs switch in place to moniter F/P which is set at 5 pounds. Never have had a problem. For the fuel I run C16. So far I have only run a 150 shot. 10.68 @ 122 off the bottle, 9.74 @ 137 with a 150 shot. The thing about N2O is not so much the HP rating, but what it does to torque. It will triple it, and will launch the car hard. 1.360 sixty foot on a 10.5 inch tire. Love it.

Ron
Old 03-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I don't know much about N20, but from what I've heard, I didn't think you used it upon launch. Just wondering....
Old 03-19-2004, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Why not use it on launch? Stage the car, apply the Transbrake, foot to the floor, 5200 RPM on the limiter. When the transbrake button is pushed, it also pulls 12V from the solenoids, so as long as that button is down, even when you close the WOT switch no N2O will flow. When I release the Transbrake, it counts down through the RTD, and hopefully at the right moment, disengages the Transbrake and simultaneously puts 12V on the fuel and N2O solenoids. The car is already at 5800 RPM and WOT.

Ron

After re-reading my post..it sounded like I was lecturing...sorry..I get carried away.

Last edited by red347; 03-19-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.