No Brake Lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No Brake Lights

Dealing with 1992 Chevy C1500, step side. For a while what would happen was when you pressed the brake pedal you`d get no brake lights until you moved the truck, then they would come on. Now it has no brake lights period. First thing I suspected was the brake light switch, so I replaced it, still nothing. Here`s where it gets interesting. I got out the digital volt meter, removed the switch from the pedal so I could activate the switch without anyone holding the pedal since it`s just me. I disconnected the harness under the rear bed of the truck and found the green and white wires had power. I plugged the harness back in, still nothing. Checked for power on front side before the harness and it had power, on the rear side, nothing. Thinking there must be a short in the harness I bypassed it altogether and just for temp checking I cut the green wires and connected them together. Thinking that had to be it, still no brake lights. Checked the power again, no power in the wire at all, the green and white wires both check out there getting no power. So it seems there`s a short elsewhere, which explains why it gets power sometimes but not afterwards. Will I have to trace the wires back up the frame to find where the short is? or could it be somewhere in the cab of the truck? Since neither wire had power it seems it has to be in the cab somewhere which really chaps my tail cause I hate trying to work under the dash where a 1000 other wires are.
Any helps appreciated. Man I hate electrical problems.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Wanna-be custom upholsterer

On a 92 Suburban I used to own, I was having intermittent lighting issues. Turned out most of the lighting ran through the turn signal switch under the steering wheel. I replaced it and it fixed everything. Just my 2 cents.

Robert
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Your ground for the bed and the lights is probably corroded or broken. You probably do have power further back but depending on what you are using for a ground it may not show. Whenever doing this type of testing I always use the battery negative for a ground for my meter. I will extend the meter lead with a wire with a couple alligator clips. This way you are sure your test ground is always good.
Most of those trucks have a strap on the drivers side real close to the rear of the truck that is used to ground the bed and the lights. I would be willing to bet yours is missing. When you move the truck the bed shifts a little and you may pick up a ground through the bed to frame bolts intermittently.

Chet
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The grounds good. It was the first thing I checked.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.