No brake lights X2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No brake lights X2

Still dealing with 92 chevy pickup. Pulled out the entire green wire from tail lights to firewall, checked for power at the source in the firewall, meter reads zero. So now that means the problem is somewhere under the dash which should be the last place it is because none of these wires are exposed to the elements. I`ve checked fuses, all is fine, new brake light switch that I`ve left dangling so I could keep a check for power without assitance from another. Before I pulled out the wire I could connect the brake lights up and get nothing, yet, go out there again and 10 minutes they would be on just fine. Shake the truck, not hard, they`d go back off. It appears best I can tell the only wire that supplies power to the brake lights is the green wire. However once you get at the junction box at the firewall and into the cab there has to be several green wires and I don`t even know if GM kept the wire the same color all the way to the very source. It seems where ever this wire gets it`s power from is where the problem lies. Anywhere know where this circuit starts to give me a pointer before I put a match to this thing?
Another thing I`ll mention is I can check the fuse panel, fuse in or out and get nothing, so doesn`t that mean where ever power to the fuse panel is coming from isn`t giving any power? I`m thinking the fuse panel has individual power circuits. One more thing, A while back ago after my truck sat due to a major engine problem, when I got it back running the radio wouldn`t work on rainy or damp days and it`s still that way now, I`m wondering if this is the same thing wrong with the brake light circuit only worse? I did check the power source to the radio when a damp day comes along and it reads zero.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Try running a separate power wire from a good circuit in the box to one side of the fuse that has no power, and see if that makes the brake lights work. If that works, then you have a broken power connection inside the fuse box.

Bruce
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Sure enough, the problem is in the fuse panel. Now the next problem, removing the blasted dash to get it out to fix it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Now it gets more interesting. It seems now I have power to the fuse panel but no brake lights. I checked the wires going to the brake light switch, only one is getting power which is the orange wire. With the meter right in front of me, I check the panel, 12 volts, check the green wire going to the brake lights, zero. So I move the brake light switch to the off position, I notice the meter is now reading negative zero instead of plain zero. I am really considering bypassing all the factory BS and straight wiring it some which way. I`ve never seen this type of problem before. I wasn`t getting power to the fuse panel on the brake light circuit, now I am, but I still have no brake lights. Could it be the connection at the firewall is bad due to corrosion? Next it`s looking like i`m going to have to start tracing wires down and find which in the big mess of a harness is the one effected and finding out where the power is stopping. I can shake all the wires under the dash and the meter will jump around slightly, but there`s still no power.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Can you jumper a known good 12v source to the fuse for the brake lights?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 AM

You should have 12v on Orange wire then output from switch on the white into turn signal switch. it comes out on a Dark Green a and Yellow. If your turn signals work on both sides the wiring out of the turn signal switch is fine.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

I found the problem, it is indeed the turn signal switch, I can shake it and the brake lights come on, shake it more they go off.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.