No brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

No brakes

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger, but I can't seem to locate the problem with my brakes. So far, I have put new pads on, machined the drums (all 4 are drum), replaced the pistons on the front drums, replaced all of the rubbers on the brake pistons, replaced the master cylinder, and finally replaced the booster.
I still need a great deal of space to stop. One additional bit of information is that the motor is a 440 (+.030 pistons, oversize valves, 498 lift and 292 duration). Being that the motor is altered, I thought that it may not be producing enough vacuum....but I believe that it is (by feel). I took it to a brake shop and they stated that I need a master cylinder with a larger piston diameter.
I am skeptical of this because I believe that a larger diameter will actually make it worse.
Anyway.. Please give me some ideas...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 04:20 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

I can only assume the pedal is high and hard, not low and soft, since you made no mention of it. Larger master would push more fluid at a lower line pressure, and make the pedal higher and harder to press.
If you are using all stock sized cylinders, they should be right. Those cars had some big easy drums.

Methodically check booster and check valve operation. Check engine vacuum with a gauge. Check that you are getting brake pressure to all 4 wheels and that it releases immediately when you let off. Check that the primary and secondary shoes are not reversed.

You could be on the right track with thinking not enough boost due to big cam.

If the pedal is low and soft, ignore the above.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM

Well, I did some checking over the weekend. I got the car going pretty good and applied the brakes with the engine idling high. It did brake better... I believe that it is a question of vacuum. I also changed the vacuum source from the manifold to the carburator. It appeared that the carburator had a little more vacuum (still not enough).
With that being said, I need to check out some other things. I either do not have enough oil pressure or the lifters need to be replaced. This could cause some vacuum loss. I also placed a plastic bag near the exhaust and it would push out and suck in... Not good.
I do have another question... How can I determine if the camshaft is properly aligned? I do not have the specs on the cam... I do remember that it has 498 lift and I am pretty sure 292 duration. I believe that I should check these items prior to knowing that the engine will not create the vacuum necessary.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

A wilder cam profile will definately affect the vacuum.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:02 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Add a vacuum canister.

As far as your bag sucking in and out, if you have a large cam they are extremely inefficient at idle. Do a compression / leakdown test.

To check your cam you either need to pull it out and find the list numbers or degree it. You can come close by measuring the lifter movement with a dial gauge.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:55 AM

OK, its been awhile. My oil pressure is 75-80 psi. Now I believe that I need to replace the hydraulic lifters. I believe that this will increase the vacuum at least a little (and eliminate the noise). If this does not increase the vacuum enough, I have a vacuum canister for the front headlights that I will hook up if need be. This canister is like a coffee can and it will be rather awkard looking. I am sure that racing cars use a vacuum canister that is more apealing to the eyes. Where can I purchase one?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Your oil pressure has didly to do with your vacuum..........get that vacuum canister....it should help.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:48 PM

If you connect a vacuum canister with a check valve it will hold vacuum at the highest level that your engine produces. Also like someone said earlier 'CHECK YOUR VACUUM WITH A VACUUM GAUGE" then go from there. Do first things first and save yourself a lot of hassel!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:46 PM

Ok, I have some questions on the answers. Please have patience with me, I want to better understand.

Poncho62- You state that the oil pressure does not effect vacuum. If the valves are not closing and opening properly doesn't that affect the vacuum?

Lamothe1- I lent my vacuum gage to someone and it hasn't been returned. I can go out and spend the money to buy another one, but my view is that I may get a reading without any reference as to whether it is good or not. I have looked through all of the manuals that I have and I was unable to locate any vacuum readings. Do you have any idea what is an acceptable vacuum?

I really appreciate the assistance and the learning experience.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 PM

At sea level it should be pretty close to 21 lbs vacuum. You could call some of the brake vendors that advertise in the car mags. and they could tell you how much vacuum the booster needs, 18 lbs seams to ring a bell but I'm not sure.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM

P.S. your oil pressure is more than enough. Stock motors usally run between 40-50 psi at higher RPMS. I think somewhere I read that 10 PSI per thousand rpm was standard and if your lifters are bad they will be clattering REALLY loud.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger69
Poncho62- You state that the oil pressure does not effect vacuum. If the valves are not closing and opening properly doesn't that affect the vacuum?

I really appreciate the assistance and the learning experience.

I see what you are thinking....that extra oil pressure in the lifters would make them open more. As long as you have enough oil pressure so that the lifters don't collapse, they are not going to open any more, or for a different amount of time. 10 lbs of oil pressure per 1000 rpm will do that.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.