no brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 12:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

no brakes

I Have a 1967 mustang with a BB 460. 2 years ago I replaced the front drums with a disc brake setup from a 1969 mustang. I wasnt getting enough pressure to my front discs. Oh by the way the car is a manual setup. so recently I read that a proportioning valve needed to be placed between the stock proportioning valve and the rear brakes so I did that. The new proportioning valve can be turned to adjust the pressure going to the back brakes. I also replaced the master cylinder with a brand new one. It had a different top. instead of being the typical clamp type it is a screw down type. It is however a dual bowl setup like the old one, so I expect it should matter right? Well anyway now in order for me to get any pressure at all I have to pump the brake a few times, as if to build the pressure up. I bled the system several times including the master cylinder thinking i had air in the lines. There is no more air in the lines but it still needs to be pumped a few times to build up the required pressure for the car to slow. Could I have bought the wrong master cylinder? Do I need to buy a Brake booster. I didnt make my car a powered brake sytem because there isnt a lot of room between the valve cover and the firewall. I really need to get this car on the road but first i need to get the brakes done. Can somebody tell me what I need to do? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You need the proper master cylinder. If you put a new stock 67 one on it is for drum/drum brakes. It has to be one for disk/drums. They have different valving in them for front and rear. The disks require more pressure to work.

Get one for a 69 with feont disks. A booster will help also, but you need the right master, or it will never work right.

Budget RVs
Old 11-28-2005, 05:37 PM

brakes suck cont

I think you may be on to somethin. the current master cylinder is similar to the one I replaced. I am looking at one now for a 67 that fits pretty much all the 60-70's models the resevior size is different. the front resevoir which is fro the rear brakes is smaller than the rear resevoir used for the front brakes. On my current one the resevoir bowls are the same size. I will replace it with the disc/front master and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It's not the size of the resevoir, it's the metering that counts. You need to make sure that the master that you get is metered for disk front, drum rear.

Budget RVs
Old 11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
You need the proper master cylinder. If you put a new stock 67 one on it is for drum/drum brakes. It has to be one for disk/drums. They have different valving in them for front and rear. The disks require more pressure to work.

Get one for a 69 with feont disks. A booster will help also, but you need the right master, or it will never work right.

70s Granada stuff bolts right on (1" diameter MC) , use its combination valve also. Nix the aux proportioning valve until you have everything working correctly.

79 Mustang (only) manual brake only (7/8 diameter MC) is not metric lines, bolts right on and reduces pedal effort 15 %,,,,

Manual discs are NOT harder to push than manual drums.

If you really want a good PB set up, find a 79-80 Granada/Monarch/Versailles with hydro-boost brakes and use that. They are excellent.

done a couple.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.