Hot Rod Forum banner

No brakes in the car as of now?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  79bird 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 1979 Firebird and one morning as I pulled out into the street. I push down all the way on the brakes and then it will very slowly began to brake. I checked the master cylinder and thats not the problem. The car WAS leaking a fluid the day of the faliure that seemed like brake fluid, but apparently it has stopped to leak since I have not turned on my car in a few days. How can I check to see whats wrong? I cant drive anywhere unless the brakes start to work, so any help would be appreciated! I also know there is air in the system as of now, but the fluid level in the master cylinder has always been full.

By the way the fronts are disks and rears are drums :)

#3 ·
One of the first things you do is to pump up the brakes, then hold it pushed, if it slowly goes down, it's the master cylinder leaking internally. If it is leaking anywhere you will see it.

Jack it up, pull off the wheels and see what you have. Pull off the rear drums, if there is any wetness at all around the wheel cylinders than it's leaking and needs to be replaced.

But the first thing you need to do is a visual inspection for leaks.

Brian

#4 ·
Cape Cod Bob said:
If there is no leaks and the MC goes to the floorit usually means that the MC is worn out .Also means a lot of air in the sustem. Is this a daily driver or new to you car. A little more history would help. :welcome:

Yes the car is a daily driver so I have not been able to do much. The master cylinder is new, bought it 4 months ago and worked fine untill now. Yes there is alot of air in the system. I did the test for a bad master cylinder but again it is ok.

#5 ·
You just answered your question, there is air in the lines. You need to start by bleeding the brakes. There is nothing to even think about until that is done.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.