No Brakes!!!!!!! Gah! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Last journal entry: Bell Crank Fix
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

No Brakes!!!!!!! Gah!

On Sunday I towed a 1986 cougar home from my friends house. It has a blown head gasket, so I could run it for a little bit but then I'd have to shut it off so it doesn't over heat. the problem with that of course being the issue of no power brakes while being towed 10 feet behind a truck that your wife feels needs to be going 40. lol. anyway, I had to really put my foot in it to get stopped without rear-ending my own truck a couple times. we finally got it home and parked it, and now when i push the brake pedal it goes straight to the floor with hardly any resistance. when i push it in, you can hear the sound of air, like when you pump the old school bike tire pumps. i took the cap off the master cylinder, and when the brake pedal is depressed you can see a small ripple on the top of the fluid, but it doesn't spurt like it should. What did I break????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

maybe a broken line. remember to check the high spots along the top of the frame where the line runs as the fluid will run to the lowest point. or u could have blwon the master cylinder
Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I agree, A bad master cylinder or leak in the brake system will cause pedal that goes to the floor. Cole
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrat
maybe a broken line. remember to check the high spots along the top of the frame where the line runs as the fluid will run to the lowest point. or u could have blwon the master cylinder
A broken brake line was my first instinct, but no matter how much I pump the pedal, the fluid level in the master cylinder stays the same. completely full. I was planning on replacing the master cylinder, but I figured I'd post something here in case it could be something else because I don't really want to buy a new one and replace it if mines fine. When i take the cap off the MC, and have someone push the brake, the top ripples a little bit...but it doesnt squirt. its like its moving a little bit of fluid but not much. Could it be that a seal in the mc could be blown and the fluid is just passing the valves and going straight to the lines? maybe?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your system could be full of air, or the piston inside the m/c is stuck.
I just replaced the m/c on an '87 Ford. I took apart the m/c to see what was wrong (I'm like that). I expected to see the rubber seals worn or scratched, or the bore pitted and scratched. The seals were as good as new, and the bore wasn't pitted at all, but what was bad was the bore. It was actually rusted in spots even though of course it was full of brake fluid. There was enough moisture there to rust the metal in spots . The rusted areas were actually higher than the rest of the bore. When the piston seal moved over that area, the pressure leaked around the seal.
I learned another think first hand. The metal was clean in most areas, but in between the seals where they never passed, the metal was quite rusty and scaly. If the m/c were pumped with full strokes, the seals would get scratched and damaged by the rust. In the future when I bleed the brakes, I'll use short strokes unless the m/c is new.

Last edited by scrot; 07-31-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Since you can't pump it up and you're not loosing fluid, I vote for the Bad Master Cylinder.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you get some plugs the right size you can remove the lines from the master, install the plugs and see if you have a pedal. We have a kit with all the different plugs. It has saved replacing a lot of masters that were not defective. If you cant find plugs you can make them from brake line fittings, just braze or sliver solder the holes closed.

Chet
Old 08-02-2009, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

hey thanks a lot i'll try that. save a lot of work if the master cylinder isn't bad!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.