Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - No change when adjusting air/fuel screws??
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Last journal entry: Interior
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Progress

PROGRESS! I moved the wires to get some more advance. Had to buy some more vacuum line. It's at 35 deg advanced and drivability is pretty good. I have no stumble when I punch it. The sputtering at low idle cruise mode is 95% better. It cruises pretty good. More importantly, I got some adjustment out of my idle mixture screws on the carb!

So I'm moving in the right direction. Does 35 deg advanced for idle timing sound right? I started by verifying #1 was at tdc and verified the mark on my balancer lined up with the 0 mark on my timing tab, which it did. To verify my idle timing I set my advance on my timing light to 35 and the balancer mark lines up with the 0 on the timing tab. 35 seems like a lot so I want to make sure. My vac advance was plugged as well. And could it take some more advance? I have no pinging or bogging or knocking at idle or under acceleration. It starts easy. Does it want more?

So with this much advance at idle, where do I need to start with tuning the vacuum and mechanical advance?