Hot Rod Forum banner

no charge!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  helrazr3 
#1 ·
I've got a 79 Monte Carlo that has been sittng for about 2 years. I charged the battery and it held a charge & the alternator kept it charged, but I didn't drive it for a few weeks & it was dead again.I put a charger on it again and it wouldn't charge. I put in a new battery and the system won't charge. I had the alternator checked, it's ok (also tried a new one) and still no charge. Could it be the starter solenoid? It was staying engaged for a little bit after it started,but has since quit.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have a broken wire in your harness, is the alt light on? I would do some basic electrical troubleshooting before I would spend money on speculation, start with ensuring all your wires have continuity and are not shorted to ground. How is your grounds? what about the block to chassis ground?

#3 ·
hi definetly check and clean your grounds. at the risk of stating the painfully obvious check all your connections.if you start the car and disconnect the pos. batt cable and the car dies its not charging. if it stays running the altenator is working. or get a dc volt meter it should read at least 14 volts to charge properly. if the battery is really low it may read close to 16 volts.good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.