no cutting 4 me - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

no cutting 4 me

I have a 1930 model a Tudor Sedan. i want to make a rat rod! i want to lower the rear without cutting up the frame!is it posible? i want to use as mutch of the old car as posible!like the wishbones and stuff but im thinking of useing a coil over shock .all the pictures i see are of modified frames has anyone used the old setup? how did they do it in the 50s and 60s? im kinda new at this !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Well . . . . the real way to do it old timey you don't want to know! Either heat the spring at the shackle end 'til it sags and bends to a 90deg angle. That'll give you an authentic 50s 2 - 3" drop. The second 'official' way is to take the springs off and weld the axle tube to the frame. That's the way Don Garlits did his first Swamp Rat dragster chassis. I think I would defer to modern tech on this point and C the frame!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63novass2468
I have a 1930 model a Tudor Sedan. i want to make a rat rod! i want to lower the rear without cutting up the frame!is it posible? i want to use as mutch of the old car as posible!like the wishbones and stuff but im thinking of useing a coil over shock .all the pictures i see are of modified frames has anyone used the old setup? how did they do it in the 50s and 60s? im kinda new at this !

You should probably think about what kind of motor you will be using first. If you're transplanting a v8 then you will need to do chassis modifications anyway. Will this be a car driven quite a bit on the street? If so you will probably want a newer style suspension.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
thats some awsome info! i didnt know what they did back then! any other tips would bee cool too ! thank you very mutch!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
.all the pictures i see are of modified frames has anyone used the old setup?
The main reason you see modified frames is that MOST Model A frames are rusted, busted and fit only for the 40 horsepower engine Henry installed in them over 75 years ago.

Go here for Model A frame dimesions ...

http://www.wescottsauto.com/pdf2/FR-2.pdf

The original frame is not boxed ... is very narrow and flexes easily. A new boxed frame like shown is only about a thousand dollars. It is BOXED, has the coil spring mounts already and makes a excellent basis for Hot Rod.

Most of the original suspension stuff just was not designed to stand even 100 or 150 horsepower. Add in the years and abuse ...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

The straight rails of the frame aren't going to allow the car to get that low w/o modifications.

I would believe that if you were to set the frame right on the rear axle to mock things up to see how it looks the frame is still going to be way higher than you want it to be. Most of those so called rat rods have the frame modified at both ends to get them as low as they are. that is, they are cut and Z'd at both ends, just in front of the firewall and in front of the rear axle.
I've suggested it before and seen it in a couple of other places since.
Think about taking some 2X4 lumber (it doesn't have to be new) and doing a mock up of the frame the way you want to see the car sit. A couple of hours of playing with it and you should be able to visualize how the car will look and see what you will have to do in metal to get it that way.

As the other guys said, those old frames are usually in rough shape and need more work than building a new frame. It isn't that hard to build a frame out of rectangular steel tubing, and it isn't all that spendy if you can do it your self or have a buddy weld up the frame. Even at today's inflated prices you should be able to make a good tube frame for under 100.00 in material. You have to plan your cuts to get the most use of the metal including any " cut to haul" cuts at the steel yard if you can't haul the full lengths of tubing home.

I would suspect that your reason for not wanting to modify the frame is that you either don't weld or have access to a welder. Most of us have been in that spot at one time in our hot rodding lives. I used to do the cutting/fitting/ grinding at home and then haul the parts 8 blocks down the street in the back of my 69 Barracuda to my buddies house where he welded them up. a bit more effort but we built my 23 T that way. I had a little 110v buzz box from Wards that wasn't good enough to do serious welding but I could tack things together so that all he had to do was weld them up.

All I have left to say is that even "rat rods" take a lot of planning to get right.
With a bit of planning you should be able to build a nifty low buck rig that will have a lot of Bubba factor and be fun and safe to drive.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.