No electrical power in 79 T/A - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Born to Wrench

Wiki Edits: 0

No electrical power in 79 T/A

Hey guys , I got my T/A running again about a week ago & have been moving towards pulling it out to wash it up until 2 days ago , I have had some sort of electrical failure somewhere! I had just had it running and was in the process of adjusting the fuel air mixture because of a slightly rich smell , I then decided to recheck the timing. I was bumping the starter to bring the timing mark around so I could mark it with some chalk and that's when everything quit working. Now when the key is turned my guages don't respond , the pump doesn't run & the starter is getting nothing also. I replaced the starter & solenoid hoping it had gone bad but it wasn't the problem. The battery is fairly new , the alternator is new , I checked all the wiring going to the starter , it has a new ground cable , a new negative battery cable , the old positive cable seemed to be ok. The only thing that works now is the clock on the tach & when I turn the key it stops. I also pulled the coil cover on the distributor and the coil & leads look fine , my lights don't come on or brake lights when the pedal is pushed. I don't know why it did this or what is causing it. Hopefully someone can help so I can finish up and move on to another project!! Thanks in advance..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 AM

The first problem I would look for would be a blown fuse link feeding the circuit to the inside of the car. These are usually located at the starter-Pos batt. connection. They will be 10/12ga. red wires. One will feed back up to the alt. and the other one will usually go the junction block on the firewall, then thru the bulkhead connector to the fuse block and key switch.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Born to Wrench

Thanks Gizmo , I got it going yesterday. I think it was something to do with the solenoid. I dropped the column and messed with the ignition switch to see if it was doing it's job first. Then I went across the shop to look @ the factory wiring on my wifes 79 T/A to make certain everything was correct or see if anything important was out of place. I wound up hooking the charger directly to the cables without the battery on a low 10-amp charge cycle and pulled the light switch & they came on. So I figured it had to be a stuck solenoid or something , I tapped the key and engaged the solenoid a couple times then hooked the battery back up and the pump and all power came back , starts fine now and has plenty of voltage. Thanks for taking the time to send some information , I appreciate the effort.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.