Hot Rod Forum banner

no forward gears...help please

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  adtkart 
#1 ·
I have a TH350 in my camaro. When i put the shifter to Reverse she moves just fine, then all below that dont work, when i put it into the 1/2/3 slots it just revs, it acts like it wants to move just for a second in the lowest slot (1) but it doesnt. I checked the fluid its fine. the linkage is ok to, or reverse would be in a wrong spot. any ideas?

#4 ·
taking it from a mech. who specializes in auto trans. When looking to rebuild any trans, it's best not to be specific when quoting "how much is this gonna cost me". Most of the time you never now until you pull it apart. That's just the way it works. sorry.

(ps always drop a new tq cvrtr its always good practice and less hassle down the road)

#8 ·
I'm with airworld on this one. Plates a probably burnt up. If this is the case then you can get a trans rebuild kit from a local parts store (Autozone) for around 150 to 200. It comes with the plates and all. But if you don't want to do it yourself then I'd suggest possibly finding some one local that does rebuilds in their garage. These guys can be bartered down to nearly nuthin and will usually do a great job because they want to make a good name for themselves and get more bussiness. My 82 camaro has a 305 with the stock TH-200 tranny. When it went out I had a guy locally do it. He completely rebuilt it, acid dipped it to clean it up, installed a shift kit in and gave me a 3 month warranty on it all for only $300. After that all I had to do was buy a new torque converter and put it back in my car. Haven't had a single problem with it yet and its been a year now.

Good luck,
Panther

#9 ·
I would be surprised if the only thing inside that is needed comes in the kit. Knowing the history on "rebuilt" parts that Advance sells, I would bet on more parts than that being worn out. Although I have never seen a trans that they sold, I have seen the water pumps that make noise or leak, alternators that don't charge, and starters that won't work(what is usually wrong with them to require replacement in the first place). If you take them back, they will give you another just like it, and put yours back on the shelf. I have seen it done before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.