No front plate street legal in NJ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003, 11:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post No front plate street legal in NJ?

I have QQ plates on my '69 Camaro here in grand ole New Jersey, which is a designation for a historic vehicle 25 years or older in the state. A few guys have told me that a front plate is not required on a historic car, so I would like to remove it (for cosmetic reasons) if I can. I have been to the DMV website, but was unable to find anything on requirements for front license plates on a historic car. I did call them and get a verbal OK, but I would feel better if I had a piece of paper to show the cop when I get pulled over for not having a front plate. Anyone out there know what the deal is?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

I'm not from NJ but you could call the DMV again, and ask them what paragraph number is. like 46-163 then write it down. so if you get stopped you can tell the cops.

just a thought
Old 04-28-2003, 04:07 PM

A friend of mine told me it was ok to jump off the roof next door.....
Look, if the state issues 2 plates and your "real" car has to have 2 plates, and they sent you 2 "QQ" plates, you gotta have 2 plates.
Here in the Lone Star State we have 2 plates too and every arrogant Corvette driver doesn't think they are down here with the rest of us tokels and don't put 'em on. Alot of street rodders don't either, and then there is the group that keep the "spare" license plate they gave us in the dresser drawer at home in case some one steals the real one. It takes all kinds..huh?
THE FACT IS...if 2 are required, put 'em on. Remember, the night you're being a bad boy is going to be the night that cop who doesn't have his quota pulls you over....by your invitation for not having the front plate installed...and then...pay the piper, puddy! All the little "oh it's ok even if it's not in the book talk" doesn't mean crapola when the Man is standing at your back bumper with his aluminum clipboard.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:23 PM

i live in maryland and i got street rod tags on my 69 camaro and im supposed to have the front tag. I have been pulled over twice for it 45$ ticket i still have no front plate on there and never will.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:30 PM

Speaking of legal plates, I saw a '56 Chevy PU here in California with personalized "black" plates which the state never issued back in the '50's. The owner "computer" copied his recently issued personalized plates then changed the colors to black with yellow numbers. He said that he's been running them for about six months without a problem. But he also said that his "legal" plates are under the copy so if he's stopped, he'll tell the cops that he had the truck in a show and forgot to take the copy off. At most, cops will either make him remove the copy or not even say anything.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Check into running original '69 plates. Weimer was telling me that if you have an original set (swap meet buy) that you can get them registered and run them. A couple of guys around here has them and never been pulled over. Check with Weimer when he's on here and he can explain it.

Kevin
Old 04-29-2003, 11:51 AM

It is so nice to know that some people live where money falls from heaven and have the luxury of being able to pay $45 every now and then because they choose to break the law. I wouldn't run around bragging about that little story anymore, some one may realize it was told by a tough little 12-year-old boy from the home.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

[quote]Originally posted by Kevin45:
<strong>Check into running original '69 plates. Weimer was telling me that if you have an original set (swap meet buy) that you can get them registered and run them. A couple of guys around here has them and never been pulled over. Check with Weimer when he's on here and he can explain it.

Kevin</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can run vintage plates in California if a) they are already on the car or, b) they are the same year of the car, i.e., can't buy some swap meet '55 plates and run them on a '58 but you can on your '55. Also, in Calif, law is you need two plates. However, very few rods run them, 'vettes and such rarely do and there are a lot of SUVs around that have had them scraped off by parking too near the curb one too many times. I have never heard of a citation for this violation.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Kansas requires a front plate when you run a personalized tag, I have never put the front plate on as the state in there wisdom does not have a front plate with regular tags nor with antique tags or any of the other specialized tags. In fact the front personal tag says right on it for display only. It is hanging up in the garage. If you can find one from the year of manufacture, you can have it authorized to be your personalized tag and not run a front tag legally. Each state is different.Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the posts guys. To me, part of being a street rodder means stretching the limits of what the law allows, and if it means I can slip by with one plate, I will. If it makes my car look better, you can bet I'll take the chance and pay the ticket for my choice.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:30 PM

well pasadenahotrod heres a tip to you dont call people you dont know liars.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:10 PM

my '70 olds had a bracket mounted off-center (passenger side) to the front bumper. you're supposed to put a plate there, but it looks absolutely terrible! i can tell this car was not designed with a front plate in mind. also, with the bracket and plate mounted, dirt and moisture can build up underneath everything, causing rust.

i just won't allow myself to sit around while my bumper rusts out, and a front plate looks so awful on this car that i took everything off. it looks much better this way, and now i don't have to mess around taking anything off when i clean.

here in ohio, it is illegal to drive without a front plate. however, as mentioned before, my olds was originally designed without the front plate requirement, so the front end looks fantastic without a plate. because of this, cops DON'T NOTICE it's not there. think about it, if your car doesn't have a bare mounting location showing, it's not going to be that obvious.

i've driven my car with no front plate for 3 summers now without a single problem from the authorities, and i drive in town and on the freeway quite a bit, putting around 10K miles on the car each year.

not to be without a backup plan for the possible traffic stop, i have rigged a magnetic bracket to my front plate, so that if i needed to put it on, i can. i works well, even at 95 mph, but i never use it unless i'm in a town notorious for ticketing (new rome, oh). i normally keep it in the trunk with my wash bucket. if a cop were to pull me over, i'd say i just washed my car and forgot to re-attach it.

oh, here's an experience i had a while back: once i put the wrong plate on the front of my other car, an '86 chevy caprice. the front and back plates were different numbers, so a cop pulled me over and asked why this was. i told him i had just gotten new plates and forgot to replace the front one (which was the truth). he let me go, but said to fix the problem when i got home. wheeew!!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:51 PM

I have seen a letter from NJ DMV that states you are allowed to run only the rear plate in NJ with QQ tags. This letter is displayed at Corvette Paramedics 609 265 2702. I am gonna get a copy of it for my 79 vette.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.