No fuel to carb, do have fuel at pump inlet - replace? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

No fuel to carb, do have fuel at pump inlet - replace?

I'm messing around with a Chevy 350. My son and I previously replaced the fuel tank (it was very old - cheaper to replace than to clean), replaced the fuel sending unit, replaced rubber fuel lines. We had it running for a while, but...

Now we're not getting fuel to the carb. I checked the fuel line leading to the carb and it is dry. I decided to replace the fuel pump, but when I started to disconnect the fuel line leading to the pump, there was plenty of fuel in it.

So - replace the pump anyway? Why would I have fuel at the fuel pump inlet, but none at the outlet? Just trying to figure it out. (I've got a replacement fuel pump on hand - just wanted to figure out if something else might be the problem)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Replace the pump and check the oil. If you smell gas in the oil change it right away. Sometimes the fuel pump can rupture internally and leak fuel into the engine. Make sure you pack the spring cavity of the replacement fuel pump with lube. Not doing so will make the spring in the pump overheat and fail. I wouldn`t use heavy grease, use a light lube like break in lube or moly lube.
If you get it together and still can`t get any fuel to the carb then I`d say the sock in the fuel tank has collapsed.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Old pump is off. New pump is in hand. The fuelpump pushrod is behind the plate. Do I need to remove the plate to get at the fuel pump pushrod? How do I get the thing pulled up and on the lever?

Sorry for asking goofy questions. Never replaced a fuel pump on a 350 before.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM

I think I found an answer using trusty google. Remove plate. Use a bolt (or something) to hold up pushrod. Bolt plate back in place, then go about my business. Sorry for posting a dumb question.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Info from the Crankshaft Coalition Wiki:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...P,_REPLACE_SBC
Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Thanks. That was a great how-to. I really appreciate it. Fuel pump is replaced. I think I got the pushrod in right - no strange noises, anyway. It was really tight working on it, not much room (the car is an older kit car, looks like an Austin Healey - that 350 takes up a good bit of space in there!).

Charging the battery up, and hoping to see some fuel. I let it crank for a little bit, and didn't see any gas - so I'm hoping I just need to crank a bit to prime the pump.

Anyway - battery goes back in the car tomorrow, and I hope to get fuel to the carb. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg
Thanks. That was a great how-to. I really appreciate it. Fuel pump is replaced. I think I got the pushrod in right - no strange noises, anyway. It was really tight working on it, not much room (the car is an older kit car, looks like an Austin Healey - that 350 takes up a good bit of space in there!).

Charging the battery up, and hoping to see some fuel. I let it crank for a little bit, and didn't see any gas - so I'm hoping I just need to crank a bit to prime the pump.

Anyway - battery goes back in the car tomorrow, and I hope to get fuel to the carb. Fingers crossed.
Judicious use of starting fluid will lessen the amount of cranking required to get fuel up to the pump and carb. Just follow the directions on the can.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM

changing fuel pump

chevy fuel pump need to take steps to release the fuel pressure before you can remove the fuel pump.Make sure that theirs no fuel pressure on your fuel lines or fuel pump then you can proceed in changing the fuel pump.If your fuel pump mounts underneath the car, it will be held in by a couple of bolts. You can locate your fuel pump by sliding underneath the car and looking just in front of the gas tank on one side of the car or the other.

Last edited by engineczar; 06-15-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

fuel pump

just in case you missed the rod old school way, pack the push rod with bearing grease then put it in place helps hold the rod, or a feeler guage works good also, normally only big blocks have the hole you can put a bolt in i believe hope this isnt to late

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.