No Gas In Carburetor Please Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No Gas In Carburetor Please Help

I Have A 1406 Edelbrock Carb... Let Me Tell You How All This Started To Go Downhill...

Woke Up One Morning, Walked To Car, Noticed Gas Was Leaking Out Of The Gas Tank Where I Pump The Gas. Weird?! I Thought Someone Was Trying To Jack My Gas... Open The Gas Lid And Gas Was Just Coming Out Like Crazy... Cranked The Engine And Gas Went Back Down...

Couple Days Later, Start Up Car, Drove For About 2 Miles And Car Felt As If It Was Running Out Of Gas, Then It Died In The Middle Of The Road...

Open Hood Up, Noticed That Theres No Gas Going Into Carburetor (no Squirt) When I Press The Gas Pedal Still No Squirt... From My Understanding Even When Engine Off If I Press The Gas Pedal There Would Be Gas Squirting Into My Carb...

So, I Detached Gas Line From The Carb And Try To Crank, To See If Gas Was Coming Out, Results Equals No Gas Coming Out Of The Line. Therefore, Its Not The Carb Right???? So I Figure Its The Fuel Pump... Bought A New Fuel Pump... And After Install, Still No Gas Coming Out Of The Gas Line... So Obviously Its Not The Fuel Pump Either... I Gave Up From There. Please Can Someone Diagnose The Problem For Me .. Thanks

BY THE WAY, I DO HAVE GAS IN MY TANK 3/4 FULL

Advertisement

Last edited by meng; 03-31-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: ADDITION INFO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like your tank isn't vented, or the vent is plugged. Or your gas cap is supposed to be vented. As gas level goes down it creates a vacuum in the tank, to a point fuel won't come out. As for coming out near the cap, it probably was coming from the cap. Cold gas warms up, vapourizes, and pressurizes the tank, forcing gas out the cap.

Also, a plugged fuel filter or fuel line will prevent gas from reaching the pump, but with the gas leaking at the cap, the above sounds more plausible.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

okay, i will check to see, so how would you overcome that vent gas problem?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I would guess your line or pickup filter is plugged. You can disconnect the line that goes from the pump to the tank and blow some air through it. You may also want to check if there is another inline filter somewhere in the line. You didnt say what kind of vehicle it is.

Chet
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng
okay, i will check to see, so how would you overcome that vent gas problem?
Ayuh,... Clear the crud outa the Vent line would be a Good start...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

no gas

it would be good to know what year and model you have there, is it a car or truck, single or dual tanks, smog stuff still hooked up or not? hot or cold climate, did you just fill up with fuel? is the pump lower than the tank?
-when you swapped out the fuel pump, did gas dribble out of the line or was it pretty much dry?
-do a quick check for an inline fuel filter. just follow the fuel line from front to rear. also check for damage to the line, possibly from some road debris that has hit and pinched off the line.
-do you have an air compressor? if so, take the gas cap off and the fuel line on the inlet side of the inline fuel filter. if you don't have an inline fuel filter then take the fuel line off at the inlet to the fuel pump. either way, stick a piece of hose on the fuel line and put the end of the hose into a empty jug, like a windshield washer jug that you can sort of see into. have an old bolt or something ready to plug the fuel line in case it starts to siphon fuel from the tank once it clears (if it is plugged). get out the blow gun and a rag. if you have a air pressure regulator, put it on the air line and set it to 15 psi (so you don't blow up your fuel tank with too much pressure). put the end of the blow gun into the gas filler hole and sort of stuff the rag in to take up the extra space. apply some pressure to the tank ( you may have to just do this in spurts so you don't over pressure) and have a flunky keep check on the outcome in the jug where the fuel line is. you should have a good steady stream of nice clean fuel there once the tank gets a little pressure in it and the gas has had time to find it's way to the end of the fuel line. if not, start looking for what is plugged. if you live in a cold climate and just filled with gas, it could just be ice in the fuel line. get it inside to warm up and try the pressure in the tank thing again (with all sources of ignition off of course). you may have a plugged outlet in the tank, could be somebody was trying to jack your gas and the siphon equipment damaged something inside the tank, could be a collapsed rubber hose from the tank outlet to the fuel line on the frame, could be a hidden inline filter that you didn't see, could be a collapsed rubber line from the frame line to the fuel pump, could be a plugged fuel filter at the carb or a stuck carb inlet valve. if it is a truck with dual tanks it could be the tank switch or valve. if all you get is air in the jug when you pressure the tank, maybe there is a problem inside the fuel tank, like the pickup tube fell off or was bent from those guys with the siphon equipment.
-if you still have nothing, disconnect the fuel line at the tank and blow through the line toward the front, where it is still plugged into that jug. there should be something coming out the other end into your jug. if not, the fuel line is plugged. you could then try blowing backwards from the front and see if it clears. either unplug it or replace it. also, you can blow back into the tank while the line is off. gently and with the cap off. you should hear some bubles. if air goes in but no bubbles are heard, just air hissing in the tank, maybe the pick up tube is broken so it doesn't go down into the fuel. you would just be sucking air. then you would need to take the tank out and check. unless you can get at the sending unit through an access hole.
good luck, and wear safety glasses, and have an extinguisher at hand, just in case.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

my car is a 1968 falcon with a 1965 galaxie 289 small block engine 4.7L v8
Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

no gas

that's the one with the square tail lights right? is the fuel tank underneath or in the trunk? if memory serves me right it is in the trunk floor and the outlet is on the front side of the tank, behind the rear axle. there is a rubber line to connect it from the tank fiting to the frame tube. like an old mustang set up. check there to see if the tube got bent or the rubber hose is in good shape. that tube is pretty small diameter so it could just be rusty on the inside and necked down/plugged
well. if that's not it, all that stuff from the previous post is still relevant I guess. the quick way to tell if your fuel line is plugged is to just disconnect it at the pump, connect a length of rubber line and blow back through it. take the gas cap off first. you should hear bubbles in the tank. the only problem is you push stuff back into the tank from the filter, and then you will re-filter it again later. use an air compressor if you have one, but be carefull of the pressure, you can blow of one of those rubber flex lines easily enough with too much pressure in the line.
you didn't just change fuel caps or anything else right? it is all status quo? never had this problem before? not just out of a tire shop or somewhere it was on a hoist (possibly flattened fuel line from the hoist pad positioning)?
do you have an inline filter? sometimes on older cars you never know what has been done over the years. it wouldn't hurt to follow that fuel line from the pump back to the tank and just see what you are working with. then you will know if there is another filter tucked away somewhere and if anything is funky with the steel line.
good luck, keep us posted if you find a problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check the rubber hoses that connect the tank to the metal lines on the underside of the car. These deteriorate over time and crack. The cracks cause air leaks and since that's on the suction side of the pump, you won't see a fuel leak. The pump is sucking air and won't prime from the tank. Also check the rubber lines leading from the metal lines to the pump.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys for all the help, after i did all the above suggestions, i came to find that the damn cam lobe is not turning so its not pushing on to the lever of the fuel pump... will have to unbolt the front of the engine to see if thats really the problem... we'll see how it goes...
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a broken timing chain....
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

problem solved... the screw on the cam lobe broke, had to replace the screw, and wahlaaaah! the blue beast is back on the streeet smoking tires
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meng
problem solved... the screw on the cam lobe broke, had to replace the screw, and wahlaaaah! the blue beast is back on the streeet smoking tires
Until the oil pump picks up the pieces....
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

the screw on the cam lobe???
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
the screw on the cam lobe???
Prolly trying to describe the 1- or 2- piece fuel pump eccentric used on Fords:

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.