Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - No idea where to begin
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes, pics would help. What is it you want...talking about the frame, are you looking to do a pro-street or something?

Here's what I would do if you're just looking to do something/anything with it, and I'm assuming it's at-least a hatchback or wagon, not the worthless notchback...and that you're serious enough to see it through.

First research. Lots of people have hot-rodded Vegas back-in-the-day, including guys who were barely old enough to drive at the time and had unsupportive parents owning the driveway. So you can do it too but know what you're getting into.

Build a mild 350, try to use aluminum heads (late '80s Corvette, aftermarket etc) and intake to minimize the load on the body, w/ a TH350 trans for simplicity. Source motor/trans mounts, aftermarket or V8 Monza from CL or somebody at a forum. Get exhaust from same sources, Certain '60s manifold can fit, Monza manifolds are tiny but headers will have ground clearance issues. Next you'll get some experience as you work out all the details required to make it a running car, such as fuel, cooling, driveshaft etc. Figure two weeks full-time, or a few months of Saturdays. By the time you have it so it can take it's first trip around the block, you can say "you have some experience" with cars which may be the best reason to try something like this. Then, take it easy on the throttle 'til you're ready to deal with the rear at which point you can make your "stage II" project be narrowed rear, subframe and sheetmetal, etc. and later go even further if you choose.

But.....

For all that, you're only doing something that's been done a million times already, will have problems with the front "frame" over time, was severely out-of-style once, and what you're left with is not worth much if you try to sell. There are hacked-up old Vegas everywhere that didn't get finished, or got mickey-moused up then thrashed, that people put on CL trying to make them look like they're worth something and they're just not. And, what makes an old guy's eyes light up (such as me, who's 52 and built six V8 Vegas by the time I was 22) may not be right for a guy your age. So anyhow, you gotta know what you really want...no one else can decide that for you.

With all that...my vote's for the Vega, but you see where I'm coming from. In my day such projects were cutting-edge and it was easy to be enthused about them. In 2013, it's kind-of a re-hash I'd do more for nostalgia reasons, like to build a '70s thing.