Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - No juice,won't start- 348 chevy
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
It will be close to the same there is a small drop. Some coils have a built in resistance. you can have a voltage drop somewhere any where there is any resistance it can drop your voltage! whats the voltage when you test the battery terminals? Disconnect the coil+ and test from the battery- to the end of the wire. Then hook it back up to the coil+ and test. Whats your readings on the volt meter?

There's a small wire that hooks to the + of the coil on the 60s chevys that has a braided covering that is white in color (when new LOL) it could be dark brown from dirt and oil now> That wire is a the built in resister! If its gone or by passed you need a resistor with an ohm rating for the coil, some coils don't need a resistor it depends on what coil is installed! if you hook up the braided wire and install another resistor it will not run right!
--------------------------If you don't run a resistor on a coil that need one it wont run right--------------------
ETC. Your condenser has to be the right impedance or it will burn up your points or they will pit on one side and build up on the other and wont run right! Years ago I liked Blue Streak points they lasted forever but they merged and now they are Napa or Echlin! Dont by Jap. or Chin. the quality is terrible

Jester
I missed typed these are the correctionsIm getting old LOL

if you dont run a resister on a coil that needs one it wont run right
if you run a resistor on a coil that doesn't need one it wont run right ETC.