NO movement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Wiki Edits: 0

NO movement

I have a Turbo 400 trans. stock converter. I believe I overfilled it and I was getting fluid leaks. Tranny quit leaking fluid after a few startups (car not driven on street, just in and out of paint shop and garage). Car has driven fine. Went to pull it out of garage yesterday and car went three feet and quit moving, no forward or reverse. Checked fluid (cold) and it showed low! I figure that was why it quit moving. What is the proper way to add fluid to a Turbo 400 so you get it right and don't overfill or underfill? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 10:45 AM

Proper way to check fluid is with the car at opperating temp and in park. Remember that trannys take fluid in ounces not quarts. This is what I have always been tought and I could be wrong so someone correct me on this if need be.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

I know I dumped quarts in that tranny when I first got it because I believe the converter was empty. I am totally ignorant when it comes to automatic trannies. I think I will drain the pan and start over. How do you drain the converter? Is there a plug on it? Do you then start the car and add fluid and the pump will make sure the converter gets filled? I feel like an idiot for asking these questions but I just don't want to screw this thing up. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I doubt it was overfilled to begin with. If the convertor was empty, all of the fluid has gone to fill it. You need to add more to bring the trans up to fill level. You don't need to start over... Just finish what you started... And you will probably see the leaks come back once you get it filled...
Here is a fluid fill chart from TCI... It takes a few "quarts" to fill up a th400...
http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/fluid_capacity.htm
Mark
Old 08-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Just start your car and let it get up to running temp, check it in park and add accordingly. Dont jsut drain your tranny and start over. The only way to drain the converter is to pull the trans and take the converter out, atleast this is the only way I know of?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:14 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

All right. Thanks guys. I tell you what, I am so tired of this car doing this to me! I was fully prepared to take the wife and kids around the block and this happens! I love hotrodding!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.