No Name "Hot Rod" Booser/Cylinders?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 06:39 PM
If it aint broke, break it!

Last journal entry: Cab Corner - 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No Name "Hot Rod" Booster/Cylinders??

These are all over the rags I pick up (classic truck, rod & custom) and the cost difference over vehicle specific units is pretty considerable. What have your guys' experiences been like with the aftermarket booster/cylinder setups? For example here is a link to a unit with a 7" boost/dual cylinder unit with a combo valve already on it. It's a good price and I've been eyeing it. But good brakes are pretty important...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Advertisement

Last edited by OKSoda; 10-04-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

I've been looking at a lot of suspension and braking parts lately myself, and have asked the same question everytime "Where is it made?" Ends up most every single item I've asked that question of is made in China. I don't know if that necessarily makes it bad, but for some reason I'd like to have American made products in my old Ford.
Looks like a really good price, with pretty much everything you'd need, but I always have that thought in the back of my head as to how important brakes are!
Well, good luck. Later - Karl.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
If it aint broke, break it!

Last journal entry: Cab Corner - 2
Last photo:

oops, i meant booster. anyways, is there anyone else out there with any experience?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Sacred Steel

Last journal entry: The dash
Last photo:

I bought one of these at Carlisle a couple years ago and I have it in my T-bird. I believe the master cylinder is for a Corvette. I didnít use the master cylinder because I didnít care for the feel so I used a ford master cylinder instead. All I had to do was make the holes a little larger in the ford master cylinder so it would fit on the booster. It has worked fine so far. My father has one on his 55 Chevy and it works fine also. These are also in a lot of street rods. You might want to email the seller and ask him where it was made.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

if you knew what the individual components were..

If you knew what the individual components were you could probably buy them separately, or pick them up used, for a lot less money. The trick is finding out what they are. I used a 5.0 Fox body booster and a 73 corvette master cylinder for my under body system (57 chev truck).
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you buy generic you have to know enough about braking systems to make it work safely, like matching master cylinder bore to the front caliper size -- the fronts do most of the braking, more important than the rears. When you buy for a particular car, more liability is put on the supplier, and they had to do some R&D to make sure the setup fit and worked as advertised. If it doesn't work and you cobbled the systme together from generic parts, it's your fault! So do some brake system research before changing things around. If you match a factory setup for a similar size/weight vehicle, you're usually okay.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

Generic parts

Farna, many of the aftermarket systems ARE cobbled together parts. That's why I said that if you knew what the individual parts were you could buy them yourself. Some are engineered and custom built. Many "kits" are cobbled together off the shelf that they bolt together and mark up for profit and brake booster/master cylinders are a good example. Granted buying the kits save you some time and hastle figuring out what will work but often with a bit of sleuthing you can find out what years/makes the kit builders are using and pick them up off the shelf and save a buck. In the old days there were no kits.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I understand completely murrsue! The difference is if they sell you parts that you have to make sure works for your application it's your fault if the brakes fail and you wreck. If a supplier has a kit stating it fits/works on a 68 Ford Mustang (or whatever) and the parts aren't correct, the supplier has some liability. Of course if the parts are correct then you have the "was it installed correctly/professionally" issue where the supplier will try to pin all/part of the liability on the installer (which may be you!). It's a wonderful, litigous society we now have! Have to keep all those lawyers and court clerks and such employed, you know!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
I understand completely murrsue! The difference is if they sell you parts that you have to make sure works for your application it's your fault if the brakes fail and you wreck. If a supplier has a kit stating it fits/works on a 68 Ford Mustang (or whatever) and the parts aren't correct, the supplier has some liability. Of course if the parts are correct then you have the "was it installed correctly/professionally" issue where the supplier will try to pin all/part of the liability on the installer (which may be you!). It's a wonderful, litigous society we now have! Have to keep all those lawyers and court clerks and such employed, you know!
I really doubt these guys are all that concerned about litigation. They mostly have an "out" in that they did not install the braking system. To sue and get compensation you would be required to PROVE their product was the cause of the failure and it wasn't caused by a faulty, backyard, un-qualified mechanic doing the installation.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.