No NSRA in Wisconsin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 09:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No NSRA in Wisconsin

Hello Milwaukee and Southeast Wisconsin hot-rodders. As some of you may remember, back in the early 80s NSRA attempted to hold an event here in the Milwaukee area. The result, a disaster !

Very few showed up, they titled it a "Street Machine event even though they are very pompous about Hot-rods only being worthy if they are Pre-1948.

The truth is, NSRA got greedy, they saw that Car Craft street machine nationals was huge and thought they would cash in on the street machines 1949 and up even though they did not consider them to be worthy of much of anything. NSRA was very lax in how they ran the event and when things did not turn out as well as they anticipated they blew Milwaukee and Wisconsin off and moved on.

If the pre-48 rodders want to continue to throw there money into the NSRA owners pockets then that is great. After all we all know how much fun it is to go to the Nats and look at all of the heavy hitters try to make 34 fords look like Porches.

We are fortunate here in Wisconsin that the Good Guys organization has the faith in us and was willing to put it on the line and hold a national event here in Waukesha Wisconsin. Last Sept, they held there first Good Guys even and the weather was terrible but in true Wisconsin and Illinois form we all showed up anyways and the event was a success.

Good Guys is back again in Wisconsin in 2004 and the event is great (I went today). While at the event it was brought to my attention that NSRA will again be holding an event here in Wisconsin and get this, they are upping the pre 1948 cut-off year. What a Joke!!

We have Madison Classics and now we have Good Guys so how about if NSRA stays away. I say they had there crack at our hard earned Wisconsin dollars and they chose to go away so why not stay away.

This is all about NSRA wanting the whole pie. Let the Good Guys have Wisconsin and NSRA can stay in Kentucky taking entries on 10,000 34 Fords all trying to look like Porsches.. I am sick and tired of everyone taking our hobby and turning it into BIG BUSINESS! I realize it is not cheap to go to the Good Guys event but at least they took the chance and stuck it out here in Wisconsin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

As a past NSRA member, I have never seen an NSRA event that was not pre 1948. I have gone to Goodguys menbership because of a dispute with NSRA over handicap vehicle use on the show grounds. This is an association that will let a glass car that has no parts on it over ten years old be called a 1923-48 Ford. BUT. If you have a handicap vehicle, homemade or converted from a Golf car. You are not allowed on the grounds unless it is a manufactured (by a Certified manufacturer) handicap vehicle.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

It is a shame they were not more accomidating.

Yes, back in the eighties NSRA was trying to cash in on the street machines and they held two types of events. Street rod Nats and Street Machine NAts.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:38 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I personally love NSRA events, I would rather see 32 and 34 fords all day long than novas/camaros/chevelles or whatever all day long. I find myself looking at the vendors most of the days at GoodGuys events, because half the cars at the event doesnt suit my taste.

Not bashing or bad talking anyones personal likes in vehicles, but street machines do absolutely nothing for me. Just like the 34 fords do nothing for you. Its a matter of opinion. And the GoodGuys association is in it for the money just as much as NSRA.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Personally I like 37's myself!

Then again I have a 37 Dodge business coupe so go figure? I had a 31 Ford and have had project 32's and 29's go through my garage but never wanted to drive one enough to finish it before I sold it. I also like the earily 60's Chevelle's, especially the 64 and 65's, I have one of each and I like the 53 Chevy's too. Anybody want to buy a 69 GTO judge clone...just asking??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by kristkustoms
.... And the GoodGuys association is in it for the money just as much as NSRA.
A very true statement.

I've been a member of the NSRA for many years and have attended every Nationals since I joined. I also attend the GoodGuys Nats in Columbus, but I don't and probably wouldn't take a car there.

I decided quite a while ago not to join GoodGuys. The straw that broke the camel's back was when they taped over for sale signs in car windows in the SPECTATOR'S parking lot at their Scottsdale, AZ show. Apparently they wanted people to pay to put cars that were for sale in the event's "for sale" lot (for a fee, naturally). Can you imagine if someone happens to be selling their daily driver and they go to a GoodGuys event for the day and pay the $12 or $15 spectator entry fee. Then they come out they find their for sale sign taped over? I don't think so! Didn't happen to me but it did to a friend and a lot of other people. Try getting tape off your windows after it's baked in the desert son for a few hours. Trust me, it's not easy. Yea, their in it for the money just as much as the NSRA, maybe more.

Centerline
Old 08-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

May not be a big deal, but check out the giveaways at a good-guys versus an NSRA event. At Good-Guys most of the "giveaways" are so much off if you buy something. At a NSRA event a gift certificate is good for a certain product or for purchase from a particular vendor from whom you do not have to buy anything to use it. Plus Good-Guys events cost more than NSRA events ( I know cause I just paid my entry for the Good Guys event at the Kansas Speedway.)
Old 08-21-2004, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

Now im getting even more off the subject...

From a vendors standpoint, the difference in organization of GoodGuys events and NSRA events is night and day. GoodGuys organization SUCKS.

I was a vendor at Columbus GoodGuys this year. It was the first GoodGuys event ive done, ive done NSRA events for the past couple years. For the NSRA events, you get a map of the vendor area with the spots sold marked off of the map at the time of mailing. You send the contract back with your check, and you select the top 5 spaces you would like from the map NSRA provides. Once they receive the contrect, they send you a confirmation with your exact space number. Then a month before the event you get a credentials packet in the mail. Nice and organized...

This past winter i sent in my contract for GoodGuys columbus. They did not provide any maps, you could only specify whether you wanted an inside or outside space. Once i sent the contract to GoodGuys i didnt receive anything else from them. Not a confirmation or anything. I called about 2 months before Columbus to simply confirm that i was registered as a vendor...had to leave a message and no one ever called back. For the next month i called once a week and NEVER talked to a human voice on the phone, and no one ever called me back. I finally called my ad agent for the GoodGuys gazette (knowing he was the wrong person to talk to) and he gave me some womans cell phone. I called this lady and she was half pissed i called. She said she "thought" she remembered my companies name being on the list. She would not check "the list" and said that if i sent the contract, then they received it, and i am registered as a vendor at Columbus. Then when i got to Columbus they were out of vendor passes. I got regular event passes. That really wasnt a big deal, but i arrived early in the morning on the set up day, how do you run out of vendor passes? Pretty pitiful if you ask me.

Last edited by kristkustoms; 08-21-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:45 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

this debate is as basic as low rider vs. street rod or ford vs. Chevy its always been 48 and down or 49 and up depending on the organization.there's no right answer just your answer.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Things are getting off point. NSRA had every chance to start an event in Wisconsin and that would be great but they chose not to. Now Good guys is here so I think it should be left at that
Old 08-22-2004, 09:55 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I also just returned from the Goodguys show in Waukesha where I heard the news (rumor?) that NSRA was going to hold a show next year in Milwaukee at State Fair Park. Personally, I'm glad to hear it. The Goodguys show was a prime example of the great machinery coming out of the Great Lakes area, especially Wis., Ill. and Minnesota. I think the owners and professional rod shops who are building these great rods deserve all the national exposure they can get and having both a Goodguys event AND and NSRA event in Wisconsin gives these guys the national attention they deserve.

Dewey
Old 08-23-2004, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

Its probably true. I know an Indiana State Rep for NSRA that just took on a full time job with NSRA as an event director. He told me they are adding 3 new events in 2005.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: Blasting Cabinet
Last photo:

I'm with cboy. The more shows the better here in Wisconsin. Sure there are the small town shows with a couple of dozen cars, and then there's Back To The 50's in St. Paul, but the rodding season is pretty short up north so the more the merrier.

What about membership? I'm not a member of either, but was thinking about one or the other.

Who's a member in what out there?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.