No oil to the passenger side of my engine! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No oil to the passenger side of my engine!

A couple days ago I heard some ticking from the passenger side of my engine so I pulled the valve cover off thinking one of the rocker arms came loose & I was going to tighten it up. I know oil come out of the push rods & run down back into the engine but the passenger side had nothing. I checked my oil gauge to make sure my oil pump was working & it was reading 20 psi so I pulled the drivers side valve cover to see if oil was flowing normally on that side & it was. I ruled out the push rods because I pulled a couple of them to make sure they were not clogged or bent. I noticed there is oil on the ground on the rear passenger side of the engine and some coming down the starter dripping onto the header. I was thinking the valve cover on that side was leaking but I stuck my hand back there & it was dry. The motor wasn't rebuilt recently but it has been rebuilt. I bought it from a friend over a year ago & didn't have any problems out of it. I pulled the motor out of one car & put it in another car about a month ago. I broke the rotor in the distributor & somehow the wires to my pick up coil broke too so I dropped another HEI distributor I had laying around in after i bolted the engine in. I had it on the engine stand to clean it up, change the oil pan gasket & paint it... Do you think having it upside down caused something to go wrong? The only other thing I did while I had the engine on the stand was use the guide that I quoted below to adjust the valves. maybe I did something wrong here that caused this...IDK

Quote:
With the engine OFF and spark plugs removed so that you can rotate the engine with less effort. 1. Get #1 piston to compression TDC, Cam gear at 12 o'clock crank gear at 12 o'clock. 2. Adjust the intake valves on cylinders 1, 2, 5, & 7 by loosening the rocker nut until play is in the pushrod then just take the up and down play in the pushrod and tighten the rocker nut 90 degrees 3. Adjust the exhaust valves on 1, 3, 4, & 8 in the same manner. 4. Rotate crank 360 degrees to get cylinder #6 to compression TDC, Cam gear at 6 o'clock and crank gear at 12 o'clock. 5. Adjust the intake valves on 3, 4, 6, & 8 in mentioned manner 6. Adjust the exhaust valves on 2, 5, 6, & 7 Getting the '0' lash is the same as I posted originally. Use the "up and down" rather than "spinning" the pushrod.

Have anyone heard of oil only coming through the push rods on one side of the engine? If so, how was this fixed... If it can be! The engine is a Chevy 355 & the block # is 3970010. As I was sitting here typing this I remembered that I did not put the distributor gasket on. Do you thing that air could be getting into the engine & causing the oil pressure to drop in that side?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltboy314
A couple days ago I heard some ticking from the passenger side of my engine so I pulled the valve cover off thinking one of the rocker arms came loose & I was going to tighten it up. I know oil come out of the push rods & run down back into the engine but the passenger side had nothing. I checked my oil gauge to make sure my oil pump was working & it was reading 20 psi so I pulled the drivers side valve cover to see if oil was flowing normally on that side & it was. I ruled out the push rods because I pulled a couple of them to make sure they were not clogged or bent. I noticed there is oil on the ground on the rear passenger side of the engine and some coming down the starter dripping onto the header. I was thinking the valve cover on that side was leaking but I stuck my hand back there & it was dry. The motor wasn't rebuilt recently but it has been rebuilt. I bought it from a friend over a year ago & didn't have any problems out of it. I pulled the motor out of one car & put it in another car about a month ago. I broke the rotor in the distributor & somehow the wires to my pick up coil broke too so I dropped another HEI distributor I had laying around in after i bolted the engine in. I had it on the engine stand to clean it up, change the oil pan gasket & paint it... Do you think having it upside down caused something to go wrong? The only other thing I did while I had the engine on the stand was use the guide that I quoted below to adjust the valves. maybe I did something wrong here that caused this...IDK

Have anyone heard of oil only coming through the push rods on one side of the engine? If so, how was this fixed... If it can be! The engine is a Chevy 355 & the block # is 3970010. As I was sitting here typing this I remembered that I did not put the distributor gasket on. Do you thing that air could be getting into the engine & causing the oil pressure to drop in that side?
Oh boy, the lack of oil from the push rods on that passenger side and oil coming down the back side of the block sounds like the the plug on the right side oil galley is leaking. This is the galley that supplies the right side lifters and from there the push rods to the rockers. The galley is drilled all the way thru the block front to rear as are the other two being the main in the center and the left, drivers side lifter galley.

The right side galley is also intersected by the distributor housing. The bottom of the housing has a thick boss with a relief in the middle of it. The relief forms a passage for the right side lifter galley. If the distributor is not positioned in the vertical direction correctly, it will allow oil from this galley to leak internally back to the pan. There should be a gasket between the distributor and manifold if it is missing the distributor will set to deeply into that galley and plug it partially to fully and can also result in a leak at the galley as well as out the mating surface of the distributor to the manifold.

Milling the block, heads and intake can also play havoc with this as the vertical mounting dimensions of the distributor are affected which usually sets it too low and blocking of exposing the oil feed of the right side lifter galley by miss-positioning the groove in the lower boss of the distributor housing. For engine's that have been milled, it is necessary to shim the distributor to get the correct tooth engagement with the cam gear and to insure the oil groove centers around the oil passage.

Check to see if the oil source is off the bottom of the distributor or whether it's coming out behind the flywheel/flexplate. In the former its a miss-located distributor in the latter the rear galley plug is leaking.

Bogie
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

I finally got the problem solved. The distributor was a little twisted so i ended up pulling it out & sitting it back in making sure everything was in the correct spot. I locked it down & when i fired it up I had oil flowing on both sides. I'm think I'm going to pull the trans so I can take a look at those plugs in the back on the engine because I still have a little oil dripping down the starter. I'm also rearing a little rattle from the engine now. I'll make a vid of it so you guys can tell me what it sounds like & hopefully its not a rod bearing
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltboy314
I finally got the problem solved. The distributor was a little twisted so i ended up pulling it out & sitting it back in making sure everything was in the correct spot. I locked it down & when i fired it up I had oil flowing on both sides. I'm think I'm going to pull the trans so I can take a look at those plugs in the back on the engine because I still have a little oil dripping down the starter. I'm also rearing a little rattle from the engine now. I'll make a vid of it so you guys can tell me what it sounds like & hopefully its not a rod bearing
twisted ?. If it wasn't seated all the way it will leak oil where it meets the intake which would run down the back of the engine. now that you have solve 1 of the problems I would clean the engine and try to look to see where the oil is comming from.
If it is a galley plug the transmission inspection cover should be dripping oil. The starter is pretty high and is awy from the plugs. The oil could be being slung there but if that was the case I would expect it to also be dripping out of the inspection cover or the bell housing

Chet
Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

I hope you put a gasket or two under your distributor. The noise you hear may be because the oil pump driven gear is bottomed-out on the pump cover.
ssmonty
Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
twisted ?. If it wasn't seated all the way it will leak oil where it meets the intake which would run down the back of the engine. now that you have solve 1 of the problems I would clean the engine and try to look to see where the oil is comming from.
If it is a galley plug the transmission inspection cover should be dripping oil. The starter is pretty high and is awy from the plugs. The oil could be being slung there but if that was the case I would expect it to also be dripping out of the inspection cover or the bell housing
I painted the engine black so its really hard to tell there its coming from. I never see the oil directly under the engine by the flywheel. Its always on the side dripping off the starter onto the header so I don't think its the plugs in the rear. I just want to check them anyway. I read somewhere to put chalk dust on the engine to get the leak to show when they are painted dark colors so i'm going to try that. Hopefully & can see around the headers to spot it. I'm more concerned with this clicking sound. I don't hear it at all when the engine is at idle but once its revved up I start to hear it.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Off topic , but , not really

Back in '85 had a motor home come in . Skip the details to the problem . Chrysler engine oil passage had not been drilled completely through and there had never been enough oil to the rocker shaft on one side of the engine . Who knows how many rocker shaft assemblies had been replaced in 60,000 miles . They did not match when I tore it down so it had obviously been replaced before . Refered to the trusty "Motors" manual for the oiling on that particular engine and pulled the bolt that the oil was supposed to run up and sure enough . Looked like maybe the bit broke as it broke though and where there was supposed to be a 3/8" hole it was not even as big as a common pin head . Stuck a pencil magnet in the passage to catch the cuttings and drilled the passage without even removing the cylinder head . Guy driving it was a dealer taking cruise with the home before putting it on the lot . He was sure smiling when he left our little two man shop . How many "big" shops had that engine been to over the years ? Good memory there . Allan .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.