No oil pressure... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2002, 01:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow No oil pressure...

I have a 90 mustang lx 5.0 5spd. Not to long ago I lost oil pressure out of no where and the engine was ticking a bit. My assumtion was a seezed oil pump. My assumtion was luckly correct. I chose to replace the busted old pump with a HV piece which worked outstanding for about four days then all the sudden no oil pressure. I've started only once since I lost pressure and the motor isn't making any wierd noises but it has a slight shudder that vibrates the steering wheel during idle. Is it possible that I got a bad piece or do I really need a HV piece; since it takes more power to turn the HV pump. I still think it may be the pump and a snapped oil pump driveshaft, but any other opinions are welcome.
My stang mods are: K&N,70mmTB,Cobra Intake,MSD Blaster coil,BBK equal length shorty headers,off road H pipe, 3.73's,Hurst short
shifter

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 03:40 PM

did u replace the pickup assembly when you replaced the pump on most 5.0s the pickup assembly is so long it clogs up real easily and another thing how many miles was on it at the time if it had a lot did you take the time to look at the connecting rod bearings or your crankshaft bearings? doing all that work to put the oil pump and not sliding in some new bearings is a total waste of work in my opinion i already di it once in my 5.0 i dont know why either but i regreted it right soon after
Old 04-26-2002, 05:04 PM

Doesnt matter now, bearings and prolly the crank are out to lunch now, your gonna have to pull the motor, drop the crank, prolly have it ground, put new bearings in, fix the oil pump, aw hell, rebuild the whole darn motor while ur at it...
Old 04-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I think you have to ask yourself what is causing the oil pump or pump drive to fail. When the pan was off was there bits of valve seals in the pan? These have been known to seize more than a few pumps. Did you check the distributor drive gear roll pin to see if was sheared? Was the drive shaft twisted? These are all things that you would have seen when the pan was off and you were replacing the pump. When the pump seized was there any other damage? The drive shaft would have snapped also if the pump seized. I would start by draining the oil through a paint filter and see what is in the oil, if it is full of babbit or steel or copper I would pull the engine and do a complete rebuild.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:52 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Funny you should mention snapping the shaft. I seized the oil pump in an old 302 I had. When I opened her up it actually looked like she sucked up a piece of the screen. But the funny thing was she twisted the shaft like a pretzel and then wiped out the bottom of the distributor but the shaft never broke. But no matter what happened I agree that the engine has probably suffered some internal damage.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:31 AM

i know u probably checked this already... but just make sure the gauge is working for oil pressure
Old 04-27-2002, 02:40 PM

Last journal entry: 41 ford rat rod
Last photo:

Those 5.0 fords are known for bad sending units i change em all the time.Sometimes they give false readings.Try a new one.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:18 PM

[quote]Originally posted by shagginwagonvic:
<strong>did u replace the pickup assembly when you replaced the pump on most 5.0s the pickup assembly is so long it clogs up real easily and another thing how many miles was on it at the time if it had a lot did you take the time to look at the connecting rod bearings or your crankshaft bearings? doing all that work to put the oil pump and not sliding in some new bearings is a total waste of work in my opinion i already di it once in my 5.0 i dont know why either but i regreted it right soon after</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 05-10-2002, 12:21 PM

[quote]Originally posted by JdOwNj:
<strong>Doesnt matter now, bearings and prolly the crank are out to lunch now, your gonna have to pull the motor, drop the crank, prolly have it ground, put new bearings in, fix the oil pump, aw hell, rebuild the whole darn motor while ur at it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

-------------
I had a 390 that was doing the same thing. No oil pres put a new oil pump and a HV. Turned after two new pumps crank bearings were shot. The line bore was no right.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.