No oil pressure on 454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2002, 03:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post No oil pressure on 454

My Revcon motorhome with a 454 in it is really neat. It's front wheel drive and something like 33 feet long. Problem is, it doesn't run.

I got no oil pressure a month after I brought it home and now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I guess I have to replace the oil pump since I put a shaft on a motor drill down where the distributor connects to it and got a no pressure reading on a guage I hooked up.

It was a Target engine with 10,000 miles on it when I got it, so everything else should be good. Maybe I should put a Marvel engine oiler in it to help prevent this in the future but I'm not to familiar with it. Will a top-engine oiler solve the problem of the engine draining itself of oil when the motorhome is parked?

prg329@icqmail.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2002, 04:45 PM

Talking

First things first, the fact that it doesn't show any oil pressure I question. You drove it home. What did the guage say when you drove it? Give us a better idea of the scenerio, then we will come up with an answer.
Big block chevys are like belly buttons...everybody has one!
Old 05-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It's possible the pickup has developed a crack or has fallen off and will not allow the pump to draw. You could overfill the engine with oil and then try the hand drill on the pump to see if this is what happened. Might be worth a try but you will still have to pull the oil pan to fix the problem. Was there resistance on the drill when you were spinning it? It should have really loaded down the drill when you tried this.

I once went on a fishing trip out in the middle of nowhere and had this happen to a 1970 6cyl Chevy pickup, we drove home with no oil pressure and the crankcase filled with 4 extra litres of oil to splash oil the spinning parts (Thank God I threw a case off oil into the bed of the truck before we left). It was not a pretty site the amount of blue smoke that was coming out of the tailpipe but it got us home but we never exceeded 30 mph. I was just thankful the police didn't give us a ticket for "mosquito fogging" the highway. We went 300 miles this way and used all 12 litres of oil by the time we got back and had to stop twice for more oil. After we fixed the pickup that truck ran fine and continued on for another couple of years of hunting and garbage truck detail none the worse for wear, ahhh...except for a plug change!
Old 05-09-2002, 09:41 PM

If You have already tried the Preoiler Routine with a Drill, Pull the Pan and take a Look, chances are the Pickup has fallen off, or the Pump went south. When You"re down there, You might as well pull the Main Caps, and the Rod Caps, and Check out the Bearings.

Even if the Bearings are Scored a little, They are Cheap. Replace Them when You replace The Pump, and replace the Stock Nylon, Intermediate Shaft to Pump Connector, with A Steel Intermediate shaft, with a Steel Connector.

Summit Racing, Jegs, have these, They are a Moroso Piece, and well worth the $12.00-$15.00.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:23 AM

The guage read good pressure when I drove it home but, later, when I overfilled it and used the hand drill I wasn't able to get a reading.

Jeff (prg329@icqmail.com)
Old 05-11-2002, 03:42 PM

I agree with 4Jaw and Taz, a friend of mine had the same symptom in his big block. He showed me the pick-up tube after he took the pan off. The tube and screen housing had come out of the pump and was just laying on the windage tray. It's a wonder more damage wasn't done. If you discover that this is your problem, you might want to tack weld a short bracket on the pick-up tube, so that you can use one of the pump bolts as an additional mounting point for the tube/screen.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.