No Pedal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No Pedal

I'm having trouble with the brakes on my 1952 Ford F6. The pedal goes to the floor with no resistance. I rebuild the master cylinder but continue to have the same issue.
It is a dump truck with a brake booster mounted behind the master and a line running from it to the proportioning valve which is mounted directly to the master.. There are four more lines running from the proportioning valve to each wheel.
I haven't been able to bleed the lines because they are frozen/rusted and I don't want to snap them off. But even if the wheel cylinders were bad I'd see a leak which I don't. After many pedal pumps the fluid level does not change. Any suggestions or ideas that would help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM
No such thing as "too fast"

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before re-installing it? Sometimes they won't work properly if the master isn't bench bled
Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Put penetrating oil on all the line nuts and bleeder screws in case you have to remove them at some point... oil them yearly thereafter with thick oil...

. You have compressible air in the system... bleed it at the bleeder screws on the calipers/wheel cylinders... don't think a proportioning valve was stock on this old of vehicle so assume it was added later... without a prop valve usually start in rear, but with prop valve usually works best to start in front to get the slider in the prop valve in the proper position....

. With two people, one pushes brake pedal down and holds it down while you crack a bleeder valve open to let air bubbles out, close valve, let pedal up, crack valve again, push pedal back down again, close valve, repeat till no more air comes out... repeat on all 4 bleeders... make sure master cylinder reservoirs stay full of brake fluid while bleeding or more air gets in, have to start over...

. One person is similar but need a clear plastic hose on the bleeder, end of hose in brake fluid in a container, open bleeder, push pedal down and hold down with wood block to seat, close bleeder valve, let pedal up and back down, repeat till no air bubbles in clear hose...
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

No Brakes

I didn't bench bleed. I normally would but the F6 master has the proportioning valve mounted directly to it with the 5 outlets. I couldn't think of a way to do a proper bleed.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. "5 outlets"? 5 wheels on this vehicle? Or is one hole for a switch, sender, or sensor of some sort?

. Just put a clear hose from each outlet returning back into the reservoirs and pump the master until all air bubbles gone...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Yup, 5 outlets. It's a dump truck so 2 of the outlets go to a brake"booster" that assists the brakes when it has a full box. Other 3 are split 1 for each front whelk and 1 to the back wheels. I got the master bled but still have no pedal. I'm gonna try a siphoning style of bleeder and see what happens.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. I'd be curious to know how the two parallel rear systems avoid losing brake fluid pressure to each other...
Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You will need to bleed the entire system. A little heat , penetrating oil and patience will get the bleeders open. I would start by soaking the bleeders with pb blaster overnight. Get a good tight fitting wrench. Heat the fittings a little and try them. Repeat until they crack free. If they are rotted badly you can try Vice grips but put a drill bit in the hole before you lock the vice grips on to keep from crushing the bleeder. I have had excellent luck taking out some of the really rusted bleeders. Patience and a tight grip are the key. I also usually tap on the caliper / cylinder with a light hammer, the vibration will help the oil work its way in.

Chet

Last edited by T-bucket23; 07-29-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:00 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
Get a good tight fitting wrench. Heat the fittings a little and try them. Repeat until they crack free.
. Yeah, I forgot to mention, proper fitting 6-point socket... SAE, British Standard, or Metric, whichever fits closer...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.