no play connecting rod 1 side only - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
I had meant the possibility of an outside step. One that would wear against the adjacent outside of rod & cap.
As for the purchase of a new rod, I'd have ordered direct from eagle with it weighted to match, but you are winning me over with the resizing deal, because I somewhat expect the shop would check the outside too.
By the way, cobalt, you are a great help...... thank you very much for chatting on this thread!
My pleasure. We all do what we can...

My thoughts are, as long as the rod side clearance is within spec when measured at both the rod and the cap, even if there's a slight mismatch to the side surfaces you'd still be fine. The thrust surfaces are not contacting each other or the crank w/much pressure and there's a lot of lubrication available. But seeing as how you're all OCD about clearances (which is a good thing IMO), the RIGHT way to do this (short of buying a new rod) would be to resize the ID then machine the sides to be flat and parallel to one another. But the resulting side clearance needs to be taken into account; if the mismatch is too great, machining could put the side clearance out of spec considering both the rod and cap would have material removed from one side making the width of the big end narrower by the combined amounts that needed to be removed.

The following is my opinion:
Within reason, rod side clearance is not as critical as one might first think. While you don't want it to be excessive, the idea that you'll suddenly have low oil pressure or oil windage problems because the side clearance is 0.005" too wide just doesn't hold water in the real world. It's the bearing oil clearance that controls pressure/windage, not side clearance per se.

Basically as long as the oil hole in the crank is covered by the bearings and the small end of the rod isn't contacting the piston rod bosses, you're OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I conferr with you on this. This solution is definatly logical and otherly well considered.
I measured this oil clearance just now.
It goes something like this: >
Towards the front of the cap, it is tighter. .001 or so. Toward the rear, its .0015 to .002
There is slight wear from turning by hand on the cap where it hits the .001 mark.
It MAY go tighter by about .0001 or .0002 or the vicinity of those ten hundred thousandths.
Does this mean no go?
Not 100% myself, but I may just order a new rod.
It would cost around 55 from eagle balanced and shipped, then maybe something like 20 or so to press out old, install new.
I'm not certain the peace of mind outweighs that cost.
The side clearance and perceived to be possible "step" is completely gone now, by the way.
Both halves measured exactly the same width/thickness.
The moniker "woodsman" comes from the depth of woods I am living in.
Machinists equipment is old and tired here.
There is one who has equipment young and able enough to do a good resize, but for your aforementioned concerns on that process.
I'm tired and stumped. Need more awake than I got right now.
Get back at you all later.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 PM

There are pictures of this in my profile in my only album. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post the image directly here.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 PM
WFO

Last photo:

0.001" is not enough clearance and that's also too much taper IMO. I'm sure you've checked for debris under the bearing, right? If not for the taper, using a -0.001-inch oversize rod bearing would put the clearance at 0.002" if it was nominally 0.001". (There are other sizes that can be used and you can also fine tune clearances by using only one bearing shell that is either plus or minus a half or one thousandths, w/a standard shell.) You need to determine if the taper lies with the rod journal or the rod itself. Likely/hopefully it's the rod.

Again, resizing the rod will rectify this.

Oh, and there's info on posting photos and videos at the top of each forum.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM

I was away for a time. Sorry for the delay.
The issue was with the rod and cap, not the journal.
I called Eagle and they shipped a new rod "toot sweet". Very good customer service there.
Had the old rod pressed out and new rod pressed in.
Installed it, and viola!
The bottom end is done!
Side clearances from front to rear: (measured with feeler gauge on both sides of rod end assembly.
.0195 both sides (frontmost position.)
.019 both sides
.021 both sides
.020 both sides (rearmost position.)
Oil clearance all throughout is .0015 to .002 (This goes for both main journals and rod journals.

Thank you all again for everything.
I'd have been in a FAR worse spot without your help and advice.
- WOODSMAN -
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Glad you finally have it figgered out. And thanks for letting us know the outcome! All too often that gets left out.

Tags
connecting rod, no side play, side play, stuck connecting rod

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.