Hot Rod Forum banner

No power...

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  colincamaro 
#1 ·
I just replaced my original 327 with a 350 in a 1967 camaro. I have everything installed save for the HEI distributor (not sure how to hook it up) its in the car with all the plug wires hooked up it just doesn't have any power. When i turn the key, not to turn the engine over just to the first notch, i have no power to anything. no lights, windshield wipers nothing. I know that the problem could be anything and very difficult to diagnose without really looking at the engine, but can you suggest anything? i really value anything that you have to say, thanks for your time,
colin :confused:

#4 ·
Headlights are independent of the key circuits.

You said nothing else works, wipers, etc....... with the key in the RUN position.

If they all worked before then something was not reconnected with the swap. You need to look to the main power buss and determine if there is power there and why it is not getting out. I suggest that the main buss has no power and you have failed to connect an 8 gauge wire to the hot battery circuit.

It is not likely that an ignition switch failure occurred instantaneously with the swap, but check to be sure that the key is actually triggering the ignition switch/ that for some reason the adjustment hasn't slipped. Did you mess around under the dash?

#5 ·
At the battery, there is a large cable to the starter...There is also a secondary smaller wire (about 10 gauge) that powers all the accessories. Did this wire get reconnected? On a 67, I believe its at the battery. In the 70s, they started running it from the starter terminal.

#8 ·
Its not only that the accessories don't start, when i put the key into the run position i get no waring lights, alternator light, temp light etc. when i turn it to crank the engine nothing happens at all. no noises nothing. the starter does nothing, the car simply sits as if nothing happened. if i jump across the starting solenoid with a screwdriver the starter will work, but that is the only case i can get any electrical power anywhere.

#10 ·
No Power

Not sure about the model years but did you change from an external regulator alternator to an internal regulated alternator?
If you did it is a simple fix to run a hot bat wire to the hot side of the external regulator and it should give you power to your dash and accessories.
If this is the case you need to do some minor rewiring to omit the regulator that also powers the horn relay.
Arlo

#11 · (Edited)
xntrik said:
...If they all worked before then something was not reconnected with the swap. You need to look to the main power buss and determine if there is power there and why it is not getting out. I suggest that the main buss has no power and you have failed to connect an 8 gauge wire to the hot battery circuit.
Yep.

Colin,
On my '69 Camaro there's an 8 gauge wire that powers the fuse box and everything.(not the HEI though which is what I have. I'll get to that)
I think there's a fusible link on that wire to the fuse box but I've had my car for 20 year's and 100,000 miles now and have had my battery in the trunk and now back up front so I've fixed that circuit a time or two and can't remember were the fusible link was originally located. It was either at the battery or near the voltage regulator.

Anyway, the main 8 gauge feed wire connects directly to the battery positive.(battery on passenger side)
Runs to the driver side underneath the top channel of the radiator support.
Turns at the voltage regulator on the driver's side of the radiator support and runs straight back to the bulk head under the master cylinder.

I'll bet the wire is hanging loose and not hooked up to the battery. Or the fusible link is blown.

As far as the HEI,
The original points distributer was powered by a small resistor wire which knocked the voltage down. The HEI requires a full 12 volt's.
First thing is to tape up the small resistor wire that powered the points distributer. You don't need it anymore.
Then run a 10 gauge wire from a 'key-on' terminal in the fuse box to the HEI positive(+) terminal. Make sure the key-on terminal is also powered in the start position. Most of the terminals on the fuse box are just for key-on. You can check the terminals with a test light.
That's it.

Another option is to run a 10 gauge wire from the battery positive through a toggle switch to the HEI.

#13 ·
1967 Camaro Starting Issue

Thanks to everyone for the info so far. I've now grounded the motor to the frame and battery to the same point, run an 8g wire from the battery to the 8g on the horn relay. Lights, ignition, horn, dash indicator lights - all working!!!! Now for the last issue before she leaves the garage under her own power. I'm getting a faint click at the starter but nothing more. I have the thick purple wire on the S post, a new battery cable to the main stud and the yellow to the R post. Any thoughts? Many thanks in advnace - this has got to be the best site for advice out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.