No Power from Coil to Distributor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since it ran before you tuned it I would suspect that you did something incorrectly when installing the points. Sounds like they are not set right OR you have the connection made wrong at them.I would check your work over to be sure. There isnt much sense in spending more money and putting in an HEI as The thing probably ran good with the points before it quit.You would not notice any difference in performance most likely, just a lighter wallet.
Points are pretty simple once you figure it out. Besides, you just spent all that spare change on the parts and installed them,no sense rippin them out to make more work at more exspense. Just my opinion.
Read Mr T Buckets article on how to points. I think you will be able to get r done if you do.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Got it!!!

First of guys, thank you very much for your help. Since I first discovered this forum, I've noticed that you guys are the most knowledgeable people I've come across when compared to all the other forums I participate in.

Taking your advice, I went back and adjusted my points using a business card and the truck started right up! Purrs like a kitten (with open ram's horn manifolds).

I do have to mention something that has baffled me, though. Before I figured out the points thing, I swapped the wires on the small posts on the starter solenoid. I put the yellow wire on the "S" terminal nearest the block and the larger gauge purple wire on the "R" terminal nearest the frame as a couple of you suggested. I tried to start it and nothing! I had figured I'd initially hooked them up right because there are several diagrams floating around the net showing that I had done it right. I've only ever messed around with starters with the "R" and "S". Is the "I" the same as the "S"?

Thanks again, folks.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Well I would have thought the I terminal fed the ignition, not sure about the R thing. I usuaaly just change a starter and since I havent even rebuilt one myself for quite a while I dont clearly recall.The S should be for start.
If it was made in china maybe it means sukiyaki and rice, hell its hard to tell.
I do know the purple one energizes the solenoid and on a SB chev it goes furthest from the engine, if it were on a pontiac (like mine) it goes closest to the engine as the starter is on the opposite side of the motor.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakesandSausage
First of guys, thank you very much for your help. Since I first discovered this forum, I've noticed that you guys are the most knowledgeable people I've come across when compared to all the other forums I participate in.

Taking your advice, I went back and adjusted my points using a business card and the truck started right up! Purrs like a kitten (with open ram's horn manifolds).

I do have to mention something that has baffled me, though. Before I figured out the points thing, I swapped the wires on the small posts on the starter solenoid. I put the yellow wire on the "S" terminal nearest the block and the larger gauge purple wire on the "R" terminal nearest the frame as a couple of you suggested. I tried to start it and nothing! I had figured I'd initially hooked them up right because there are several diagrams floating around the net showing that I had done it right. I've only ever messed around with starters with the "R" and "S". Is the "I" the same as the "S"?

Thanks again, folks.
I have seen the r terminal on some starters. The s is always the start terminal and takes the heavy purple or pink wire.
If you are going to run points you should get a feeler gauge or even better see if you can find someone with a dwell meter. Point gap should be 17-19 and dwell should be 28-32. If it is an original chevy cap, it should have the little door do you can adjust the dwell with it running. Takes an allen wrench, 1/8 if I remember correctly.
The nice one nice thing about points is you can almost always clean or adjust on the side of the road. Usually when electronic ignition dies you are calling AAA. A quality set of points installed correctly with the right condenser will last up to 15K miles with no trouble. Be sure you put a small dab of lube on the cam in the distributor to keep the point block from wearing. It only required a dab and use should use the lube that came with the points.

Chet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.