Hot Rod Forum banner

no power to tank gague

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bill plise 
#1 ·
Little help guy's, I have a 30 model A coupe with So-Cal gas gague and a tanks inc fuel tank. Im trying to figure out how to check this system. I used the So-Cal fuel sender which has a single lead on the sending unit. If I connect a light to the sender connection with the car running I should get a light on correct? When I first installed the units the gague opperated and lasted for about six months then all of a sudden one day it stoped working. I had installed a new harness when I put the gagues in and the wire connections seem to be Ok. How do I check the gague it self? bill

#2 ·
The gauge is controlled by variable resistance in the tank sender. The resistance varies as the fuel level float varies. This circuit is connected through ground, thus a single wire is connected to the sensor. Make sure the sender is grounded for a complete circuit.
Disconnect the wire at the sensor. Then turn on the key. The gauge will move to empty or full depending on the brand of the system.
Then ground the sender wire. The gauge should move to the opposite position (empty to full or full to empty).
If this happens the gauge is OK and the sender is bad.

vicrod

#4 ·
fuel gague not working

Thank you for your help guy's, I followed your proceedures and my fuel gague did move when I grounded the tank lead. Unfortunately putting an extra ground on the tank flange didn't work. I must have a problem in the sending unit. I'll have to drive out the gas before I pull the tank which I have to, to remove the sender from the tank. Question: When I remove the sender, can I manually check the sender by reconnecting the wire to the sender once its out and moving the float assy up and down? Bill

#5 ·
You can check the resistance of the sending unit by connecting an ohmeter between the sending unit terminal and mounting flange, move the lever and you should get a resistance change. Or you can connect the sender and work it by hand, just make sure you run a ground wire from the mounting flange to a good ground on the car.

#6 ·
Another thing...You are saying you grounded the flange of the tank?...Its best to run a ground right to the body of the sender...Your sender may not be grounded, the rubber gasket etc may be isolating it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.